Sign in to follow this  

YZ 250 engine noise

I am looking at a 2002 YZ 250 that is in really good condition. It has the big bore kit on it. 270 I think. Anyway it is making some engine noise that I am not real comfortable with. When you pull in the clutch the motor sounds good, but if you are in nuetral and you let off of the clutch, you can here some noise coming from the gear box. The noise is not extremely loud, but it is pretty noticable. Is this normal, or should I even be worried about it?

That noise is totally normal. For some reason the engines all sound different when the clutch is in vs out. Now, without hearing it, I am guessing, but every bike I have ever been around did this. Some kinds of gear oil make the sound more than others, but from the description it sounds like nothing at all.

I also looked at a 2003 KX 250. It didn't have as much noise coming from the gear box. Will the YZ make a better trail bike then the KX? I like the low and mid range hit of the KX, but the YZ that I am looking at is in much better shape, and I like the feel of the YZ. It just seems very weak on the low end. All of the riding that I do is in the woods.