Sign in to follow this  

Practice tips

Im starting harescrambles this year and ive been practicing alot and trying to get better/faster in the woods as ive always ridden mx. can anyone give me tips about going through tight woods faster, hillclimbs, and those freakin slick woods corners? Any practice tips and techniques would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance

Anthony

Ride with people that are better in those conditions than you, ride it often, and ride whatever it is you dont like to ride, or that you arent good at. The more you ride it, the better you will get.

In my own expierience, the throttle control, turning, tight woods, all those kind of teqhniques have just come naturally with practice. Just get out there and ride. There's no substitute for seat time!

Have you adjusted your suspension?

I know it's obvious, and isn't meant to insult...just thought I'd throw it out there...

And a big +1 on what KDXpert said. Riding with guys who are faster makes a ton of difference...

Anthony,

I don't have any practice tips for you, but I did notice you are in KY and you are doing Hare Scrambles this year. Are you going to run the KORHS series?

I am running the KORHS series again this year.:censored: This will be my second year of racing. I am hoping to be more competitive this year. This is why I am browsing the technique forum. Maybe I will see you at the races!

Ride standing as much as you can tolerate.Practice riding as slow as you can doing turns ,hopping over small obstacles etc in a small area.I'm no pro but I do this in an area about 40x30 in my backyard and i really think it helps you get a feel for body positioning on the bike. Good Luck! Oh and follow the advise above ,but remember your limits..........hitting a tree really sucks and can happen even when your not goofing off/racing!!!!!!!!!!

Anthony,

I don't have any practice tips for you, but I did notice you are in KY and you are doing Hare Scrambles this year. Are you going to run the KORHS series?

I am running the KORHS series again this year.:censored: This will be my second year of racing. I am hoping to be more competitive this year. This is why I am browsing the technique forum. Maybe I will see you at the races!

Yah I am planning on running the KORHS series but i dont know how many f the races ill be able to hit, my family stays pretty busy but i want to get a little better and be competitive as well so i have been practicing alot. What class did you run last year/this year too. What part of KY are you in? If your not too far away maybe we could practice together but yea i hope to see you at the races some time

Agreed, find someone faster then you and ride with them. Let them follow you and tell you what your doing wrong. Find some nasty single track and ride it, the harder the better..

:lol: Let them ride behind you! :applause: Good one, JJ! :applause:

Oh...you were serious?! What a novel concept...riding with faster guys made me faster from trying like hell to keep up so I wouldn't get lost! That whole band of merry scalliwags that I rode with is locally known as the "No-Waitin' M.F.'ers...keep up or get lost. Literally.

haha funny guy.. :ride: I guess if I was leading you would get lost. :censored:

I feel the best way to get faster is to set up a course. Run the loop until you cant stand it anymore. With the course rather than free riding, is that you can practice those things that are giving you problems over and over again. You can time your self so you can see what changes in your set-up and your technique make you faster. Once you have the course down, you can run it backwards, and change things. Make sure your course has as much varrying terrain as possible - tight, fast, turns, hill climbs, logs, water crossings, rocks, jumps ect.

Yep, if you're leading we're definitely lost.

:lol::ride:

If you could keep up. As long as I have fuel in the tank and I'm moving I'm never lost. :censored:

Yah I am planning on running the KORHS series but i dont know how many f the races ill be able to hit, my family stays pretty busy but i want to get a little better and be competitive as well so i have been practicing alot. What class did you run last year/this year too. What part of KY are you in? If your not too far away maybe we could practice together but yea i hope to see you at the races some time

I run the Heavy C class. My rider number is 500. I plan on being at every race. I live in Georgetown which is real close to Lexington.

My only form of practice right now is trail riding on the weekends. I have a small loop at a friend's house that I will probabaly use for paractice this year. I think setting up a small tight loop with as many different kinds of obstacles as possible would be a good method. I would like to load it full of log crossings. These seem to give me problems and they have been present in every hare scramble that I have done.

You live in Georgetown? Do you know Derek Blankenship or Chris Johnson or Brandon Long? They came down and rode last weekend. I have about a 1 mile loop that ive been practicing on and i also want to put a few more log crossings in but yah maybe you could come down sometime and practice

You live in Georgetown? Do you know Derek Blankenship or Chris Johnson or Brandon Long? They came down and rode last weekend. I have about a 1 mile loop that ive been practicing on and i also want to put a few more log crossings in but yah maybe you could come down sometime and practice

Yeah, I know Chris and Derek. I am not sure about Brandon. Those boys are just a little faster than me, but also much younger. I would be up for a practice session sometime. Just try not to make fun of me being the slow old man:p

Are you also going to ride Heavy C this year?

Sent you a PM.

i got the pm and yah i am planning on running heavy c we will just have to see how im feelin when the time comes. Did you know about dereks crash? He may have to sell his bike:cry:

Hey guys, sorry for the off-topic posts. I guess once a thread begins to wander off course I tend to start wandering with it. I'll make a better effort to be more considerate.

i got the pm and yah i am planning on running heavy c we will just have to see how im feelin when the time comes. Did you know about dereks crash? He may have to sell his bike:cry:

I saw Derek at Bell's a few days ago wearing his cast. His dad and Mike L. were kidding him about having to sell his bike.:applause:

I guess I will see you on the starting line. Look for #500.

Hey guys, sorry for the off-topic posts. I guess once a thread begins to wander off course I tend to start wandering with it. I'll make a better effort to be more considerate.

No problem. I think maybe we wandered a little as well. :applause:

To get back on topic ... I have been practicing popping controlled wheelies in gears 1,2,3 in order to cross logs and nasty rock formations easier when I suddenly encounter them during a hare scramble.

I also like to practice hopping over considerable size water run off areas. This can save a lot of time during a scramble. You wouldn't believe how many riders will slam on the brakes and slowly ride through these ditches when most of them can be cleared. I use to be one of these riders and I always got passed when it happened.:applause:

It is all about body position---in mx, you set your body position for a particular set...in the woods, that is the set hahaha---always be prepared, and be agressive