Sign in to follow this  

filter wont come clean

I have cleaned many filters using gas and the same products (suzuki filter oil) for years. 99% of the time the clean up beautifully. For the second time this year I have tried to clean a filter (which has two races on it, Twin Air) and it WILL NOT come clean. What is up....did it get too wet during washing the bike? The bike has set 3 days since I washed it. Any ideas.....I clean my filters after every ride and the last one wasn't even that dusty.

thanks

I swear by PJ1 filter cleaner spray.

x2

I have also had to buy another brand when the shop was out of PJ1, it worked pretty good. It was from Klotz.

Has anyone tried "Simple Green" on their air filter? I use it for everything else, and love it!! I haven't tried it on the filter yet.

Didn't think "Simple Green" would work to well on removing the grease around the seal.

yeah I agree I need to get a better system which I will. I am just curious if anyone knows why this is happening

I have a twin air also, and I think it is harder than a stock air filter to get clean.

Then again, it is a different material. I don't think the foam is as porous as the stock filter. That is the only reason I think that it is harder to clean. :censored:

Have you let it soak in gas for an extended period of time to try and get it clean?

dont soak it in gas, the gas just breaks down the material in te foam, and the glue. I use varasol, wash twice, rinsing in between washes, thn hot soapy water, works goot on twin air, stock, and UNI air filters.

You could get the no toil system

Or what I do is wash the filter in parts cleaning solvent, takes less than 1 minute, then after that I wash it in a mixture of hot soap and tide to get everything out, then rinse it out with water, the whole process of cleaning doesn't take long at all, 10 minutes at most. Then after that (after its completely dry) I re-oil it before use with Belray airfilter oil, or Maxima FFT foam filter oil

Yep....I thought i would give No-Toil a go and im quite impressed.The good thing about it is its not over expensive either.

I love the No Toil cleaner. It works awesome. I have been using my left over K&N filter cleaner/oil left over from my truck, when it ran out I used No Toil and it is awesome! Super easy and gets everything out. I am addicted to Simple Green (use it everywhere for everything) and it sucks on filters.

I use PJ1 filter cleaner, squeeze, and rinse out. Then I spray it down w/ grease lightening, squeeze, and rinse out. Never had any problems. If you use grease lightening make sure you wash it off w/in a couple of minutes so it doesn't eat the filter.