Sign in to follow this  

Newbie..Exhaust help

Hi all. I am new to this forum, infact this is my 1st post here :censored:. Ok, i am planning on buying a crf250x. I was just curious, what is the best exhaust to be runnign with it ? Also, should I just get a muffler (slip-on) or the complete system ? I do only trail riding up in the hills. The trails are real tight. I guess i am looking for more bottom - mid power then. I really do NOT have any noise problems for where i ride so it can be as loud as i want.

I personally have a problem whenever choosing an exhaust because i like the bike loud at times but also quiet at times. For my last atv, i ended up getting 2 exhausts, a quiet and a loud. BIG waste of money. I do like them loud but not TOO TOO loud. A 04' CRF250R with stock exhaust system is the right sound for me. I do not really wanna get that though cuz i think there are better ones out there though i don't know much about the R muffler. The most i have learnt based off of reading this site is that it seems the X header is the best. I am working on a tight budget also. So which would best suite me ? And only the slip on or should i get a header too ?

Thanx in advance

Hmmm...Ok, let's make it easier. I think the only brands that i would consider purchasing are Yoshimura, FMF, Pro circuit.. & maybe White brothers. And do i get slip on, if not, which header do i go with ?

FreeStyleMx:

Where does the yoshi TRC produce it's power ? And if you know, roughly how loud is it (db) ?

Hmmm...Ok, let's make it easier. I think the only brands that i would consider purchasing are Yoshimura, FMF, Pro circuit.. & maybe White brothers. And do i get slip on, if not, which header do i go with ?

FreeStyleMx:

Where does the yoshi TRC produce it's power ? And if you know, roughly how loud is it (db) ?

Why only those? I know yoshimura is a topend pipe. I have heard nothing but good about Dr. D pipes, and mixed opinions on fmf. And deffinately get teh full system.

Its got good Low end + Mid power.

I'm not sure on the dBs, but the sound is nice, not too loud, but doesn't sound like a lame exhaust. You can get it with a quiet insert also (But I don't have that installed) I do have my spark arrestor in it so that probably cuts down on the sound a little bit.

Why only those? I know yoshimura is a topend pipe. I have heard nothing but good about Dr. D pipes, and mixed opinions on fmf.

My Yoshi added more low + mid. Its the TRC Comp Series pipe.

I also have heard Dr. D is a great exhaust, and I would consider getting one if I wasen't so happy with my Yoshi.

I only said those cuz those are common brands and more people out here would be more likely to know about them. What i wanna know is: WHat is the purpose of a slip-on ? If i change the stock X header to 'lets just say a powerbomb', will I lose any bottom end ? What is the purpose of a dual exhaust system ? Can i purchase a dual system for my 250X ? And i've never heard an X with an exhaust yet but i have heard an R. I have noticed a whistle like sound when reving this bike. WHat exactly causes this whistle and does the X do it too ?

Basically, the STOCK exhaust is the best, for what you are after. jet the bike as recommended in the jetting posts, and then remove the baffle with 1 screw. IN and out in 1 min. jetting will be fine either way, and you will have a quiet :censored: and obnoxious :ride: pipe all in one!!

Basically, the STOCK exhaust is the best, for what you are after. jet the bike as recommended in the jetting posts, and then remove the baffle with 1 screw. IN and out in 1 min. jetting will be fine either way, and you will have a quiet :censored: and obnoxious :ride: pipe all in one!!

The stock muffler with the quiet insert removed is a good one, particularly for low to mid range power. The only thing is its heavy---a lot heavier than the Ti aftermarket slip-ons, but its probably indestructable too. If you are just getting the bike, I would ride it awile, see how you like the power before you start changing things---any exhaust upgrade will envolve jetting and airbox changes to take full advantage so be prepared to spend some time turning wrenches. My preference for an aftermarket slip-on is the FMF Ti Powercore---relatively cheap for titanium, very lite, quieter than the stock muffler uncorked, and substantial power boost in the mid to top rpm range.

Ok, I think i'll back off on the pipe for a while. The only thing that i will consider is the the airbox mod. I will definately be removing the exhaust insert also. Will I need to rejet it for this ?

Also, as i had asked earlier, does ne1 know what that wistle like sound that the R's make is ? And does the X do it ?

The first mod you should consider is the JD jetting system. You get 4 main jets (the biggest being a 162) two needles (red for normal ambient temperature and a blue for the colder temps) and now a pilot jet! (a 42 now comes with the kit) In the JD package there is instructions to do the air box and the accelerator pump (two O-rings come with the kit for this) Do ALL these mods before anything!

Then I would suggest a skid plate, bark busters, and rad guards as a must. Once you get your bike running properly (JD kit), and you get it protected, then spend some time and money tuning it in. Remember that most of these pipes are designed for marginal increases in power at their respective ratings so one may consider 'is spending the $300-1000 worth it if I'm just riding trails?'

just my opinion...

later...

Don't forget to buy the Zip TY fuel screw while you are doing your purchasing.

ALL the carb mod's should be done in one shot along with the air box / filter mods. While you have the carb out, install Stainless Steel hex or allen screws for the bowl.

Ok, i'm thinking of just going with the R muffler for now. I am gonna use the stock X header, just the R back piece. But i just have a few questions first:

1) Which is louder, Xmuffler w/o baffle or R muffler ?

2) What is the performance difference to these two ? (R and X w/o baffle)

3) Which sounds better ?

4) WHat is the retail price on the R muffler ?

5) What's the cheapest I can get one [R muffler (used)] for and is it worth it ?

Anyone here selling any ?

Here's the low down. I have a stock X with the drilled baffle. My son has an R muffler on an X head pipe. My bike, with the baffle removed, is louder than his, but his has a lower tone than mine. I drilled the baffle like Ramz suggested and put it back on because it was too loud. I would like to know why does everyone think loud makes more power? As long as the motor can exhaust the gas efficiently it IS making power. It is to your advantage to be as quiet as possible. If you have been reading these threads at all,, you will notice that the BIGGEST gain in power will come from carb/ airbox mods. The exhaust does not make much difference because the stock system is VERY GOOD. It's heavier so i'll give you that changing it out for a lighter and efficient system is worthwhile however, changing it because you think it sounds quiet is just wrong. Lets say you swap it out and now the bike SOUNDS so good and you think its making so much more power because you can HEAR the power, and then some guy just blows by you with his STOCK quiet system that sounds like a sewing machine. He was so quiet that you didnt even hear him coming up on you!! You think,, Man he is fast! or do you think,, Man his pipe sounds like S***!!! Just my opinion, but i think we all need to think quiet to keep land to ride on.

Gary C, I'm not getting it because I want a louder exhaust, i just prefer the tone that it has, and it is lighter, and it looks much much better than stock. I was just wondering performance wise, where would I gain and where would I lose. As for the sound, running it with the baffle out is too loud, that's why i wanna get it (and also cuz i hear i can get it dirt cheap). Also, where I ride, we do not test for sound level or anything, we ride way up in the hills where nobody cares.

What I wanna know is, which bike do ya prefer, urs or ur sons, and what is the difference ?

I prefer the stock, my son prefers the R. He still has the stock to throw on for enduros or places which require a spark arrestor. I dont see any performance difference between the 2 but this summer will tell the whole story when we get a good side by side comparison.