Sign in to follow this  

1987 XR200 Crank Removal

Hi, I have a 1987 XR200 that needs the rod replaced. From what it looks like, I have removed all of the bolts to split the cases except the 2 phillips screws under the gear on the bottom right part of the cases on the clutch side. These two screws will just not come out so I left them alone. Now, I am trying to get the cases apart but everything is tight. Are there any steps you have to take to get the cases apart? I have a manual but it looks like I have done everything already. It says the case should easilly lift off. Any help is appreciated.

Ron

I've never worked on a 200 so I'll take your word for it that those two screws don't have to come out. The cases are probably just stuck with sealer and maybe rust on the alignment dowels. Are there any external tabs you can pry against? Bulges you can wack with a mallet? Worst case, wedge a knife between the cases outside of the holes that have the dowels.

If you have to get the screws out get an impact screwdriver. Best $20 you'll ever spend. If that doesn't work drill down the center of the head with progressively bigger bits. Between the heat of drilling and eventually thining the bolt to where it yields it will loosen up. Just don't go bigger than the root

diameter of the threads. Had to do this on oil pump screws on a 100. Do it before you break the head off and the center of the cross in the head will guide the bit down the center of the screw.

Yea, I already tried the impact screw driver. It helped a lot with getting the oil filter off but not the 2 phillips heads under the gear (I believe this is the oil pump gear? It has a shield over it) I even tried an impact gun on a very low setting and psi and that didn't work. I just guessed that they would not need to be removed.

The two phillips should be for the oil pump. There should be 11 6mm bolts, did you get all 11? I think it's 11. Also, did you remove the clutch assembly, oil spinner, and tranny stuff like the shift shaft and the star???? I have to ask. It's been too long since I did one to think of anything else.

Yea there's the 10 case bolts and the one clutch cable holder that goes through the case...making it 11 bolts. The clutch and everything is out. I'll get some pics in the morning. Also, has anybody dealt with this company? USA-Motorcycles

They sell almost all of the parts I need new for a good price. Seems like almost everything in this motor wore out at the same time.

Thanks for the help,

Ron

Try some PB Blaster on the seam and a rubber mallet. Try alternate cooling and warming it up. Freezer, on top of a heating vent, back in the freezer, etc...

I have a small pen torch that I used to heated up the seam and than used a rubber mallet but the case didn't budge. I also shot some PB down the seam but that didnt help either. This thing is locked solid...I'll try to get those pics in a minute. Something has to be still bolted in, I was pounding this thing.

You took the cylinder off right? :censored:

Seriously though, try prying between two pieces of wood with a screwdriver in the cylinder hole.

Yea its off!! I took some pics but my dad's dinosaur of a camera won't support windows XP operating system, so I'll have to transfer them tomorrow. I tried a similar thing to pry them apart but it will not budge. I was hoping to see the case move apart a fraction so I would know if something was hung up but this thing did not move. I tried to pry them this way with 2 combo wrenches...

xr200.jpg

I have a feeling something stupid or overlooked is holding this thing up!

Ignore the dirt...I'm going to take it to the parts washer on tuesday.

xr1.jpg

xr2.jpg

I got the cases apart...it took two people and some crow bars to do it though. Thanks for the help and advice.