Sign in to follow this  

gearing

ok i have a 13 tooth front sproket and a 37 tooth rear sproket on my 50. i want to get more torque out of it. right now there is hardly any torque to it. what would i need to do to get more torque out of it????

get a bigger motor.

gearing only changes the ratio of acceleration and top speed.

this only goes so far because you have different gears to choose from.

i dont have a stock 50 motor though. i have an after market 72cc motor and the guy i bought it from said it was set up for top end and he said to get more torque i had to change the gearing....so what should i do???

guy you got it from may actually know less than you!

13t is as lo/slow as it go, 16t is as big/fast as it go. 14t is stock 50s, 15t is stock 70s.

pay attention now...

by gearing it any lower you will only make 1st gear (even more) completely useless and 2nd gear still too tall to start in, with a third feeling like stuck in 2nd!

you DO still have a honda RIIGHT??

yeh i know what you mean and thats what i thought, but the guy told me that so i was just wondering. and how about those 125cc aftermarket motors any good? because i heard they were crap!

maybe he built the motor with either the valves set too tight or the cam timing off... very common, a 72 kit should have plenty of torque to bring you up ina awheely in any gear even with a 15 tooth front sprocket

set the valves with the motor completely cold ( let is sit over night..any warmth and they'll end up too tight)

and double check teh cam timing whiel your at it... the mark on the cam should set a hair above the notch in the head.. if it sit s ahor below, it will run like crap

ajusting timing on the teeth of cam sprocket isnt that small, it will be obviously not matching up if it is wrong. no hair above or belo

ajusting timing on the teeth of cam sprocket isnt that small, it will be obviously not matching up if it is wrong. no hair above or belo

i know you've worked on at least as many of these as i have and I'm not calling you out, but i would love to see one line up perfectly. I've done several CRF's XR's, a 72 z50 and a 83 Z50 and ton's of knock off builds and i've NEVER seen one line up perfectly if the notch on the flywheel is held lined up.. and believe me i'm a stickler for detail.. the first one i built i pulled and put the cam gear in 40 different times almost trying to get it to line up "exact", and then I made a phone call to mike at trail bikes and he told me to "set it a hair above, they never line up exactly" and i was using my stock timing gear on their cam

i know you've worked on at least as many of these as i have and I'm not calling you out, but i would love to see one line up perfectly. I've done several CRF's XR's, a 72 z50 and a 83 Z50 and ton's of knock off builds and i've NEVER seen one line up perfectly if the notch on the flywheel is held lined up.. and believe me i'm a stickler for detail.. the first one i built i pulled and put the cam gear in 40 different times almost trying to get it to line up "exact", and then I made a phone call to mike at trail bikes and he told me to "set it a hair above, they never line up exactly" and i was using my stock timing gear on their cam

Sounds Like you have NEVER Replaced the timeing chain as you should do when you replace the Topend with a Big bore kit. Replacing the Surely streatched stock timeing chain with a Quality DID Timeing chain would deffinetly allign the timing marks up PERFECTLY and Ive been building Motors for over 20 Yrs.