Sign in to follow this  

Accelerator pump timing screw gap.

I'm installing the JD kit and am at #7 re: measuring the gap of the pump timing adjustment screw. Is it just me or is this impossible to measure while the carb's still in the bike? Also, is this gap typically not at 2.5mm-2.8mm? IOW, if I shine this part of the instructions, am I asking for trouble or will I most likely be ok?

You will be o.k. According to JD the gaps are usually right there. The carb is tough because you have to pull the shock out of the way and then unclamp it and pull it back to make the measurement. Try it with his jetting and you will be very close. Next time you have the bike apart you can check the gap with a caliper. He has a good pic on his sight (JDJetting):censored:

You will be o.k. According to JD the gaps are usually right there. The carb is tough because you have to pull the shock out of the way and then unclamp it and pull it back to make the measurement. Try it with his jetting and you will be very close. Next time you have the bike apart you can check the gap with a caliper. He has a good pic on his sight (JDJetting):ride:

Thanks for the info!

You mentioned a "good pic on his site". I was there earlier looking for just that (and a better pic of the o ring) but all that I saw was pics of bikes.:censored:

I'll go back and look again.

the best way to measure the gap is with a 2.5mm allen wrench it should fit snugly between the 2 peices and bent at an angle is a snap to fit into the spot in question. crude but works well enough for this purpose

Is this what you are looking for?

I've got a nice PDF of the whole "Red Beard Mod". PM me with your e-mail and I'll send it. Nice step by step with color pics.

oringkt0.jpg

Damn...now that's service. Thanks AS.:censored:

I already figured it out and installed the o-ring but here's a question. Do you guys stretch the oring over the adjuster screw (and spring) or do you remove the screw then install the oring then reinstall the screw?

I removed the screw...man, what a bi#$h to get her screwed back on with my fat fingers and that spring.:ride:

BTW, pm coming. Thx.

the best way to measure the gap is with a 2.5mm allen wrench it should fit snugly between the 2 peices and bent at an angle is a snap to fit into the spot in question. crude but works well enough for this purpose

Great idea, thanks. I ended up combining about 6 of my feeler guages to get about 2.65 mm. It wasn't very scientific but it verified that the stock setting was in the ballpark.