purpose of a CATCH CAN

Purpose of a catch can is to contain fluid overflow from 3 areas: Coolant, Fuel and Crankcase. It's not practical to make one can large enough to contain all 3 substances, so you'll need one for each. If your crankcase breather hose runs into the airbox(which is common)you won't need one there. Red Bull cans, Coke cans, Budweiser cans etc are old school and quickly becoming unacceptable with most sanctioning bodies. When considering a catch can, 3 things should be foremost;:censored:

-Able to withstand a substantial impact

-Large enough and able to contain all of it's contents in the event of a crash

-Be heat resistant

If at all possible, mount the can in a location that would reduce or eliminate it's exposure to damage.

SM sanctioning bodies have realized they face the same issues regarding catch cans as Roadracing outfits do. Show up for a race with a GSXR 1000 using a red bull can and they'll laugh at you and tell you to come back when you're serious. If you can fab a quality can at home, great. Most can't. For less than $100 you can purchase all 3 catch cans(coolant,fuel,crankcase) from a quality manufacturer and never have to worry about passing tech or spilling crap on the track.

I used 1.5" (or 1.25" if you want) PVC pipe and caps for mine (yes... glue it)when I was roadracing. Drill holes and use a pipe tap, (1/4") and put 1/4" hose barbs on....looks almost professional. Fasten it to the subframe with hose clamps in between the caps.... When I got my bike it had an old Guinness can tie wrapped underneath...lol

• 4 weeks later...

Before my ordered catch can came in,, i was using a V8 (veggie juice) can.

It got a few laughs. (hey, this guy's bike has a V8 - yes really) :applause:

And i liked it cause it was different than the red bull cans everybody wants to run (until they get kicked for a proper can)

Errrr. i guess that wasnt really all that interesting of story :eek:?

For less than $100 you can purchase all 3 catch cans(coolant,fuel,crankcase) from a quality manufacturer and never have to worry about passing tech or spilling crap on the track.

post a link for buying all three for less than 100.00...

i'm sure lots of guys would buy them. closest i have found is about 170.00 for all three. we just need a more cost effective way to get all three to get the masses to buy them. ski

• 2 weeks later...
post a link for buying all three for less than 100.00...

i'm sure lots of guys would buy them. closest i have found is about 170.00 for all three. we just need a more cost effective way to get all three to get the masses to buy them. ski

Did you buy your bike from a local dealer? He should be helping you!!! This is what they are for. If you did, and they are not - never buy from them again......... Why should they get funds only on big ticket items? That's BS

i'm using one that is pretty close to this one, but is better as it has 4 inlets and one outlet - but check KTM hardparts, as i know they are simply, cheap, and easy to install:

http://www.ktmcycles.com/catalog/PowerParts/supermoto.htm

pagedown to bottom and find "SUPERMOTO CATCH CAN - $63.99"

or, aftermarket stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Supermoto-Catch-Can-KTM-CRF-YZF-Honda-Husqvarna_W0QQitemZ190094869992QQcategoryZ34284QQcmdZViewItem

Or, full race kits here:

http://www.supermotoengineering.com/search.php