KLX 110 for my 10yr old son??

I’m in the market for my 10 year old son’s first bike. After looking at the CRF 80, TTR90, PW80, This bike looks good to me and he really likes it as well. He has never ridden before so I am still wondering if the KLX 110 might be a bit much. He is 93 lbs 4ft 8 and he’s a pretty solid kid but he is not the most aggressive type of kid so im not sure. I like the fact that this bike has many mod options and we could get several yrs out of it.

How much concern should I put on the weight of the bike?

Any input would be great thanks.

Well I am gonna buy a new one next Thursday, my buddy has one and it's a family work horse. Great bike for him ( mine is eleven and not a wild one at all ) I have XR 80 but the clutch is hard and I gonna sell it to a friend. My 14 year girl can also ride it as well as the wife. Plus if they outgrow it I put heavy springs on it for me!! They are really cool bikes!

The ttr 90 is the second choice, like the e-start! The klx 110 and the drz 110 are the same with diffrent plastic. Check around for a drz as well. Say no to China Crap! I almost bought one but my buddy explained his experiance in great detail-ugly to say the least!

I bought a 110 new in 2005 for my kids when my they were 8 and 10. They previously rode a LEM 50 two stroke and picked up the 110 very easily. The 110 is a great bike with plently power for the kids to get over hills and other things. The power delivery is smooth, predictable, and unintimating for smaller guys. A good friend bought his son a CRF70 about the same time, but after seeing the 110 said he would have gone with it instead of the 70. I have had no issues with the bike other than a hard start once and a while when the bike has not been ridden for a long time.

Good Luck

I have to agree with the 110. I bought my son one when he was 8yr old and he still can ride it. With it being popular with adults the upgrades are infinite. My son is 10 now and it has a big bore kit and all the extras snd it's just as much fun for him as the first day I bought it. Not to mention I have a blast riding it. I almost bought the 70 but it's the same size as the 110 but with less motor. So for the long haul I feel the 110 is the way to go.

• 3 years later...

I got my 9 year old son a klx 110. It was his first bike. The shifting is semi-auto which is a must for beginners. Has nice power for him and after re-jetting the carb, it starts with 1-2 kicks every time. The KLX line comes stock with a lean carb which makes for hard cold starting so re-jetting is a must for a beginner or they will get frustrated trying to start it. It is a little too heavy for him to pick up by himself but I think he can when he is 10. Great solid bike. He has crashed it a few times, much to his mother horror, but it still runs great. The bike would be about the right weight without the semi-auto clutch but the weight is worth it for a beginner. Oh, and this bike is really fun for grownups to ride too!

I picked up an '09 this past spring for my nine year old son. After around 10 hours of ride time you never would have known it was his first bike. The KLX 110 is the perfect bike for a little one venturing into the sport. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a used one. My boy moved on to a KX 65 after about 30 hrs on the 110. I do feel however that he would have been very discouraged trying to learn the basics on a 65. Proper jetting really wakes up the 110. Go green and you can't go wrong!

• 3 weeks later...
I got my 9 year old son a klx 110. It was his first bike. The shifting is semi-auto which is a must for beginners. Has nice power for him and after re-jetting the carb, it starts with 1-2 kicks every time. The KLX line comes stock with a lean carb which makes for hard cold starting so re-jetting is a must for a beginner or they will get frustrated trying to start it. It is a little too heavy for him to pick up by himself but I think he can when he is 10. Great solid bike. He has crashed it a few times, much to his mother horror, but it still runs great. The bike would be about the right weight without the semi-auto clutch but the weight is worth it for a beginner. Oh, and this bike is really fun for grownups to ride too!

How did you re-jet? What did you change? My son's bike will not idle unless the choke is on.

Thanks a lot.

i would start looking at a klx/ttr 125. it has a clutch, but that is good because he can go ahead and start learning it. it is a four stroke and not to big if you get the small wheel version. You might regret getting a klx110 when he grows. Trust me I've had one. The klx110 has great power and all but he won't be able to learn a clutch and he will grow out of it way faster than you expect.

My 11 year old rides a 110 heck six year old rides a 110 just fine although I had to cut the seat foam on his so he could touch the ground., but he also rides a ktm sx 50 pro senior so he says the 110 seems tame to him. I just laughed at him