Sign in to follow this  

United Motors SMF 200 Competitive?

I thought I would post on here and see if anyone has seen/ridden one of these. It seems to be pretty decked out when compared to a DR-200se and it's $2000 less. You can head over to www.umcycles.com and then go to dual motorcycles, dual sports then click on it. I realize it won't be very fast(I've got the R1 for fast). Basically I'm looking for an SM that's cheap and I can ride around town(and a short 5 mile 55mph highway trip from home to town). It has disks upfront, and out back, and has a way more updated styling compared to a DR200se. I'm pretty sure that its even the same motor with a little more bore and a little less stroke(as UM uses all Suzuki motors). I'm thinking top speed somewhere near 75-80, and 65+ mpg when riding nice. Plus there is a new series here in Marshalltown that has a class for pretty much any thumper. I think it would be competitive in F3 class. You can check out the restrictions at www.miniroadrace.com. It allows up to 230 cc air cooled with jet, pipe, and air box mod. So that allows me some room to flex, and suite it to me. So for less than $3500 I'll have a complete set up bike, that I can ride on the street, and race. I know that's a lot to swallow, and thanks for sticking with me. Will it be competitive vs say a tw 225 or an xr 200? I'm thinking so but...

Never seen that brand before. But its a good looking bike. And the price is sure right. I wonder about the quality of the suspension components. It dosent even say what size the forks are on the spec sheet on the web site. Its got me thinking thought that I might need a new "TOY" bike to screw around on for that price I could trash it and throw it away in a year or so. Bound to learn something and not beat up the big husky smr510 that uses me like I'm a the toy. lol.

Yeah, that actually what I was thinking too. Learn to wheelie and endo on it so I don't screw up the R1 learning. Plus I could race it locally, and gain that experience. Um also has a 3 year warranty on the motor... It's pretty hard to go wrong with that...

I agree but where do you get one is there a dealer network or sold thru existing dealerships. I have never seen anyone selling them around the seattle area where I'm from.

I agree but where do you get one is there a dealer network or sold thru existing dealerships. I have never seen anyone selling them around the seattle area where I'm from.

I did a search from Seatle, Wa, and These were the closest, there were about 3 more within 90 miles, and 4-5 more within 300 miles from you... If you go to their website, in the top right corner it says dealerships. Click on that and then you can search anywhere you want. Most of the places kinda seem like back wood shops that specialize in mopeds and scooters... Doesn't matter to me though...

LYNNWOOD MOTOPLEX

17900 Hwy 99

Lynnwood, WA 98037 Ph.425-774-0505

Distance:15.977 Mi. Fax 425-787-9146

NW CYCLE AND ATV

2010 Hwy 101 West

Port Angeles, WA 98363 Ph.877-417-3389

Distance:63.886 Mi. Fax 360-457-3686

There's a dealer withing 45 miles of me now, but there isn't a regional sales director so getting a hold of one to even test ride is like pulling teeth. The salesman tells me that if I want to buy one they'll get it for me, but they're not going to order one, just for me to ride it. So if someone happens to be able to find one some where could you do a quick write up and compare it to some bikes that you're ridden?

They do not use Suzuki motors. It looks cool but at the end of the day it's a knock off with sloppy build tolerences and poor quality control. Prob. not as bad as those knock offs at the flea market for sure, but it might last 5 years or 5 weeks, who knows? For that kind of money a used honda, yam, etc.. would probably serve you better. At least if it breaks parts are readily available. I know quite a few people who regret buying UM. Good luck with whichever you choose.

They do not use Suzuki motors. It looks cool but at the end of the day it's a knock off with sloppy build tolerences and poor quality control. Prob. not as bad as those knock offs at the flea market for sure, but it might last 5 years or 5 weeks, who knows? For that kind of money a used honda, yam, etc.. would probably serve you better. At least if it breaks parts are readily available. I know quite a few people who regret buying UM. Good luck with whichever you choose.

At least you know someone who owns a UM. I haven't been able to even lay eyes on one... I think that would tell the tale, and I'm sure riding one would seal the deal. That's kinda why I put this post out here, to see if anyone has even ridden, or at least seen one. as for 5 years or 5 monthes... it does have a 100% paid full warranty for 18 monthes, and limited up to 3 years. So it will for sure run for 18 monthes( I know there are ways around this such as sitting on the broken vehicle until said warranty ends and racing usually nullifies any warranties)

and the motors, I did a little more digging, the have a deal with HYOSUNG motors that use Suzuki's sv650 motor, and Hyosung has been building lot's of suzuki's smaller engines for a while now.

UM's are actually Korean Hyosung's and Kymco's rebadged and sold in the states with a decent warranty. I think its 3-years unlimited mileage. They are a little down on power and technology from the jap bikes, but give them a little bit of time (like Toyota gave Hyundai) and you will see some seriously competetive machines come out im sure.

here's a killer:

DRY WEIGHT 275 LBS

I'm guessing here, but 15-20hp? Hmm, more weight than my 450 and less than half the hp. Plus all the build quality of a knock off that no one has ever heard of no thanks.

Yeah, I hear that... I heard some horro stories. Basically I just want to find the best bang for the buck, and I would really like it to be street legal to help please the Executive Project Manager (aka wife) because then I can justify the gas mileage, and saving wear and tear on the R1, blah blah blah