Sign in to follow this  

KDX200 question

I have a question about the KDX200, its a 1989 that my dad is going to buy from our neighbor. I don't know anything about 2 strokes. Do you have to change the oil in it? What Fuel/oil ratio is best? thanks

I have a question about the KDX200, its a 1989 that my dad is going to buy from our neighbor. I don't know anything about 2 strokes. Do you have to change the oil in it? What Fuel/oil ratio is best? thanks

What you do when you buy the bike is have to old owner go over everything with you, annoy him if you have to but don't leave without all your questions asked. Have him point out everything and have him show you how to adjust everything from clutch cable to air pressure. It's better to have a visual now while you have the chance with the previous owner.:censored:

they are great bikes to tell you the truth. i love mine. for a two stroke, they have a real smooth power and quite a bit of low end. like the previous guy said go over the bike with the recent owner and ask all the questions you have. if he thinks the bike is in the condition he says he will answer your questions.

no it only has the triangle probably because it an 89?

You better check what your buy'n. Here's a stock pic of an 89 KDX. You can plainly see the kick stand on the swingarm.

bikepics-724301-full.jpg

• Like 1

All KDX/s have kick stands.. The previous owner might have removed it to try and shave a little weight.. Look at the swingarm it should have a few holes in it.. If so just go to e bay and buy one from there!!

The Kdx is a great bike. You'll want to run 32:1 gas to oil ratio. You change the oil that oils pretty much everything, and there is no filter. It takes 750ml which I just use an entire quart. You should have a bolt on kickstand unless he changed out the swingarm for a kx model. Msr will fit, but they don't offer any side impact protection. You'll want devol rad guards if you want protection. Trust me its worth the extra $20 for a protector than $100 for a new radiator.

I run a 36:1 ratio in my KDX. I broke it in at 32:1 but i was getting some gunk coming out the top of my silincer and leaning out the ratio has helped solve that. You could go up to 40:1 but that's the leanest i would go.