Sign in to follow this  

cleaning sparkplugs

I know there was a thread on this before but I can't seem to find it right now. How do you clean old spark plugs... I know there are the blasters you can get from harbor freight and such... but I recall other methods using easy off oven cleaner I think. I have a lot of plugs laying around and just wonder why waste them. Tell me your techniques.

I get a Wire Brush and carb cleaner/starter fluid. I spray it on the plug and let it sit for a few seconds and then rub it with the wire brush really well. And then set the gap..it works pretty well.

scrape the shit outta the plug with a wire brush.

Tip: Hold the brush still and move the plug on the brush. Not the brush on the plug= saves skin on your fingers.:censored:

• Like 1

You can clean the ordinary ones, but cant do anything with the iridium ones, The iridium s/plugs last a really long time, I have over 110 hours on mine on my 250f and it still is good.

For cleaning the ordinary ones you can just use a beadblaster/sandblaster, or wire wheel or anything of that nature.

For cleaning the iridium ones you need to have access to a Ultrasonic gasoline fuel injector cleaning machine... They are non abrasive so it will not hurt the iridium tips. You cannot set the gaps on the iridium ones either, when they are worn out, the gap will measure too big and you just replace it. I think they should last 200+ hours easily.

• Like 1

Useing a lighter or something of that nature helps too.

Give it a little heat and then stick it in the vice and wire brush it.

spray it with carb cleaner, and light it. let it burn out and spray it again. wire brush if there is stubborn stuff holding on.