Sign in to follow this  

1982 ft500 engine into 1982 xl500 frame?

I have access to an 82'ascot 500 electric start motor that I'd like to put into my 82'xl500..I know the street motor has a heavier flywheel and electronic advance,and the xl is mechanical advance..

The xl had some major top end trouble:bonk: and if this is a feasible swap I could save some $$

Has anybody out there done this? or heard of it done? Any info on possible problems along the way?

Any info would be way cool.

If I decide to go for it,I'll keep you posted.

I've heard of it being done the other way round as in the UK the FT had a far worse reputation than the XL

i've also heard of it being done, but never seen one up close. i know the electrics from the ft will swap over to the xl motor, giving you a 12 v system. i think there are some engine case differences between the two to allow for the electric start on the ft, but i'm fairly sure all of the motor mounting points are the same. i've bee toying with that for my '80 XL500, but havent found a ft motor to tinker with yet...

edit- now that i think about it i'm pretty sure the one i heard about was the older xl, yours ('82) has a monoshock that might interfere with the electric start. i really doubt it, but you might want to check it before you buy.

Thanks for the input,I'm finding out that the 82'FT500 has no decompression port and it has a tach drive port(might not be a bad thing).As far as I can tell,it will bolt in..I'm a little worried about the electronic advance and if I need all the ascot electrics(both bikes are 12v)..or if I can use the mechanical advance from the old XL on the ascot lower end..

Hey,

I've seen a bike someone did as a project that had 82 xl500r frame, ft500 engine (so they could have electric start) and cr250 forks, swingarm and shock. It looked pretty rough, but it was a better trail bike than any of the donor bikes.

Thanks,I do alot of street riding with the bike and some flat trails,so the electric start is a plus..plus the gearing should work good for what I need.

From what I can gather so far this has been done,and I'm going to give it a try,I'm still worried about the mechanical(on the xl) or electronic advance(ft)....

I'll let you guys know how it's going.

Hi,

Something else to look at, the sump on the ft is deeper, may be an interference problem at the bottom of the motore. Course this means it holds more oil too :applause:

The xl electric advance is about 18 degrees, not sure about the ascot. I have toyed with the Idea of using the mechanical and the elctric in conjunction to get about 25. Best bet is probably to use an aftermarket CDI box anyway for an XR for more advance and a better curve.

This is helping guys..the motor will be at my house 2/21 so I'll have alittle more to go on then,but think your right about the sump..it could cause a little trouble:banghead: (but hopefully not that much).

Guess the biggest problem is getting it in and starting it.

Thanks.

Exhaust is no big problem, an exhaust shop for cars should figure out something for you. What are you going to do with wiring? and battery? have you sourced an ascot wiring loom to hack out the bits you want?

I believe it should still be relatively easy to make up your own starter loom anyway, but you may want to consider puting a SLA or dry cell battery in with more CCA then the standard XL one

Yes,I'm going to take it down to get the pipe welded..As for the starter wiring and battery..your right on both..AND for the other wiring and electrics,I have no harness to chop up yet and I'll tackle it when I get to that part.For today I'm just going to get the motor in!:applause: ..Let you know how it goes..

If you have the XL mag/alternator and ignition parts all those should fit the FT the starter wiring is as simple as a solenoid and a push button.Sounds like a interesting project.

Thanks,I was thinking about a handlebar push button starter(or converting the stock horn switch)?.I'm hoping that as you said the wiring could be mostly used..I'll post a photo of the motor after I get it as least installed.

And hello from another Ca. member(Santa Rosa).

Could get a stock honda starter button from a street bike. I have two if you are interested. I have a couple of old honda street bikes for parts if you need pieces. Allen

If you have the XL mag/alternator and ignition parts all those should fit the FT the starter wiring is as simple as a solenoid and a push button.Sounds like a interesting project.

'sept for the fact that the xl's were 6 volt and the FT is a 12 v.

your 82 should be 12v Mine is and thats whatthe books say. flywheel and igniter and CDI will bolt from one to another, so you should be able to source original 12v xl stuff and put it on the ascot motor. Wiring harnes will take it, just change the lights and stuff.

hmm.. I was under the impression that the '82 XL500 had the same motor as the 79-81 XL/XR500's, and they're six volt. If the 82 is 12, thatll make converting the older ones over to 12 volts a lot easier! couldnt find any refrence to what year was what voltage in my clymers either, other than it says the "s" voltage at regulator should be 8v and the "r" should be 17v. anythings possible!

Good point.One thing I discovered in the last year is that you can convert the 6 volt system to 12 volt very easily by swapping out the stock regulator/rectifier unit with a tympanium regulator/rectifier unit that they use to upgrade the rectifier and ziener diode on old british bikes.I personally did this on a XL and XT 500.The stock XL and XT alternator put about 27 volts AC unregulated and with the new regulator and battery they charge at 13.8 or so just like a healthy alternator should.Thank you Dorkpunch for giving me a chance to share this info.Right back at ya Muthunature{Salinas}

I should clarify my conversions were done on a 78 xt 500 and a 79 xl 500.I do believe Gailinn is correct about the 82 being 12 volt we scraped one and it did have a differrent stator and rotor than the early ones.