Big thanks from downunder

Bought my 2004 KL300R here in NZ 18 months ago and have found the advice on this site invaluable - you guys are great. Special thanks to Bill P and Brewster.

The bike was bought along with the surfboard as part of my midlife crisis - I couldn't afford the Porche.

I have progressively done all the free mods, aswell as the header pipe, after market muffler, dynojet, and racetech springs, following the advice from this site.

I have rated all the mods I have made and hope it may help any newbies in the same way you guys have helped me:

free mods - minor improvement, but free so worth doing

header pipe - noticeable improvement, essential

muffler - increases noise only - waste of $

dynojet - noticeable improvement, essential

racetech springs - essential if you weigh over 150lb

:censored:

Hey there Far2,

I couldn't agree more, this site is great, as are the mods to the KLX.

I am also form NZ, Just wondering where you got your springs from?

That is about all I have left to do without going overboard with KX forks & a pumper. (need to work on the skills before that happens).

Cheers

Linesy

Far2Grumpy -

:applause: :applause: :censored::ride:?:applause::moon::ride:

Glad to see the NZ KLX contingent is good to go! Maybe we need to organize a stateside to NZ adventure ride! NZ is definately one of my dream ride locations!!! Moab is the other and luckily it's only an 11 hour drive for me. Have fun with the modded KLX!

Bill

Hi Bill,

Your right there is some great riding terrain here, I am in the lower South Island & some of our dream locations are only a couple of hours away tops.:censored:

We are very fortunate

Always a space here for you & your KLX :ride:

Linesy

Mr Motorcycles in Pukekohe do Header pipes as do cycleworks in Wellington I think.

Mine came with the pipe so I didn't have to source one. Mine was fitted with a 132 main jet with the free mods & new header. Still Dynojet was a huge improvement on that.

Thanks for that Far2, I try my dealer but looks like it may be cheaper to have sent in from the U.S.

If you guys from NZ are keen on fitting a more substantial base plate & some case guards check my Garage, it has photos of the ones I made for my bike. I am currently making another few sets if you are keen.

Linesy.

i ordered springs through my dealer as well 480 for springs front and rear.

i enquired through race tech them selves but it was no cheaper they told me.

and when i worked out the postage price it was very similar to what the bike shop quoted me.

How much was your header pipe?

yeah but the can does give a lil bit of power, I noticed a lil more bottom end on my bike. Plus now my bike sounds and looks wayyy better

Well, we all know that looks are important.:applause:

:applause: Seriously though, an FMFQ added a tiny, tiny bit of mid to top on my klx, but if I had to pay for the can (I didn't), it wouldn't be worth it. Especially as it is louder and we are loosing land faster than I can ride it.

The bike was bought along with the surfboard as part of my midlife crisis - I couldn't afford the Porche.

<grin>, you're not the only one to get a KLX300R, I got one a month before I turned 40, though not as many mod's as you ( yet ).

The one thing I have done is put Pro-Taper SE ( Reed bend ) bars on, well not much choice there after the stock ones got a bit bent ( I've bent the Pro-Tapers as well, got another set to pick up ), the higher lift on the bars is a real win, especially when your standing & going downhill.

Do you mind if I ask where you got the new headers from ?, I'd be keen on that mod if you can get them into the stock muffler.

Nigel

I

was talking to my local bike dealer today whom i just bought the klx from and the prices im hearing are all different.

for the full system header and muffler it is 550 dollars ( pro circuit )

another dealer told me just the header is 285 dollars.

i know cycle works here have made one and im just waiting to hear back from them.

one thing i have done to mine is it comes standard with a 14 tooth and 50 rear.

i put a 13 on front ($25)

and this made a noticble difference and for the loss of top speed its piss all for the riding i do.

ordered springs and just to piss me off the rear has arrived but race tech didn't have any front springs so the bloody front is still 3 weeks away.

have put bar risers and tag bars and man what a difference it made.

took off the trip meter .

taken airbox lid off.

haven't bothered with changing filter ( do you think it worth it?)

put a tee in each of the tubes off carby and ran them up under seat.

dealers here take the restrictor off the muffler before it got delivered to me.

Do they come with heavy duty tubes as standard?

Thats all ive done to bike as i see no point changing carb as if i done that i think i'd be better to go back to the kx 250 i was going to get.

But loving bike as it is so far.

Thanks for reading

Karl

Thats all ive done to bike as i see no point changing carb as if i done that i think i'd be better to go back to the kx 250 i was going to get.

But loving bike as it is so far.

Thanks for reading

Karl

Karl, with a FCR pumper, the KLX is no KX, but the carb makes a HUUuuuuge difference in the responsiveness of the bike. It's absolutely the best performance mod you can do. Better than header, pipe, etc.

Hey Kiwis

MR Motorcycles in Pukekohe do a header pipe for $125 which fits with the standard muffler. The cycleworks header pipe I have requires the cycleworks muffler also - bought them both second hand for $250.

Once you do the header and the dynojet you will go back to the 14T front sprocket.

Make sure you cut 4 coils off the diaphragm spring when you do the dynojet.

Changed to a No Toil air filter recently with no noticeable improvement.

I here what you are saying about going back to a 14t on the c/s after dynojetting.

I have a 13t on & was thinking about going back to 14t given the bike seems to have more pull than a schoolboy.

Did you try the kit with the std diaphram spring Far2, or did you cut it straight up? I haven't cut mine but have been considering that also. I would appreciate your comments.

Linesy.

Did you try the kit with the std diaphram spring Far2, or did you cut it straight up? I haven't cut mine but have been considering that also. I would appreciate your comments.

Linesy.

You don't have to cut the coils. Just tie them together with some fine wire.

Ride on

Brewster