Sign in to follow this  

HELP - broken oil tank bolt!

Just about to do my oil change and was unscrewing the top oil tank bolt then i decided to screw it back in because i forgot to start the bike up first (so the oil would drain better) and crack! It was almost as though the bolt went soft on me. So now there is a piece of it stuck inside. What has to be done to get that out now? The only thing i could think of would be to take the bike to a machine shop. I was wondering though, since i can't do that till monday, do you guys think i could probably still drain the oil and ride tomorow? Or do you think that piece of the bolt thats stuck inside would move (I don't think it would).

Ok don't worry guys. I definitely can't ride tomorrow, just started the bike up and tny bit of oil surfaced through the bolt area on the oil tank, oh well. So i will have to take the bike to a machine shop on monday. Hopefully they can get it out.

This happened to me, I drilled a small hole in the bolt, and used a small bolt extractor and it came out pretty easy, be careful not to drill all the way through te bolt, so you do not get any metal shavings in the tank. If you do drill all the way through by accident, apply grease to the extractor to keep addtional shavings from falling in, then pull the bottem lines off the tank and fill and drain the tank with a cheaper oil 2 or 3 times to remove any shavings.

Hey guys, i had a machine shop extract the bolt. However they threw it away. I got a replacement bolt but i'm not sure if it is the same length as the stock bolt. Can someone please take out their top oil tank bolt and measure it and let me know what length bolt i need to buy? Remember, not the bottom where the oil drains out, the top bolt. Thanks.

Yamaha's OEM part number is: 95817-06012-00

I work in a Yamaha Dealership and I have the bolt in front of me right now.

It is a flange bolt, designed to plug the oil tank, not to mount it..... and it measured from the top of the head of the bolt to the end of the threads: 1.8 cm total length.

the threads are 6 mm and the head of the bolt is an 8 mm

hope this helps!

Yamaha's OEM part number is: 95817-06012-00

I work in a Yamaha Dealership and I have the bolt in front of me right now.

It is a flange bolt, designed to plug the oil tank, not to mount it..... and it measured from the top of the head of the bolt to the end of the threads: 1.8 cm total length.

the threads are 6 mm and the head of the bolt is an 8 mm

hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify one thing though, the head of the bolt is a 10 for sure. Howcome you are seeing it as an 8? It sounds like you are talking about the same bolt as i am though, it is the same bolt that plugs the oil tank from the top, maybe you mis read the head measurement thats all. Check again if you could, i would appreciate it. But i'm 100 percent sure i use a 10mm socket to tighten and unscrew that bolt.

I am sorry you are correct, i actually was reading the part number incorrectly....

Just FYI - the part number reads 95817-06012-00

NOW, if you look closely at the end number, you see 06012.... what this designates is the length of the threads, and diameter... does not specify head size though... the first numbers designate what type of bolt it is, in this case it is a flanged bolt

A) the threads are 95817-06012-00 mm in diameter

:applause: the threads are 95817-06012-00 mm in length

but yes, you are correct, the head is 10... that is my mistake....

I dont think it really matters how long the threads are, as long as it uses the whole thread in the oil tank you should be fine.

I'm currently using a allen heat bolt with a washer till I get the ones form the stealer. Mine rattled free when riding it after a oil change...

I dont think it really matters how long the threads are, as long as it uses the whole thread in the oil tank you should be fine.

I'm currently using a allen heat bolt with a washer till I get the ones form the stealer. Mine rattled free when riding it after a oil change...

Absolutely correct - it won't hit anything in there as long as it's not too long. I wouldn't worry...

What i was worried about, is that a bolt too long (i'm not sure if it is because i haven't measured it) would damage the threads in the oil tank if the bolt goes past the threads. But hey, i don't work in a machine shop so i really don't know the technicalitys of it.

No, threads cannot get damaged if the end goes past it (unless the bike is not a tap bolt where there are threads from one end to the head)

Think about all thread and bolts. A bolt may be in the middle of some all thread. It's actually evne better to have a bolt go past the threads a bit.

Same thing with nylock nuts, bolt must go through the threads to lock...

Yamaha actually replaced the oil tank breather bolt on the earlier '06 with a different bolt-it has a 10mm head instead of the 8mm that came on the early production 250f's. My bolt vibrated out-I don't know how and I've heard of a few other people losing theirs-and when I replaced it they had a new part #. The new one has never come out.

I just bought a 2cm and a 1.6cm bolt in lenght. They didnt have it with the flange so i purchased a washer to suit. I suppose either of those should work. You said the stock bolt was 1.8cm? However from our discussion here, the length whether a little longer or maybe a bit shorter should be ok.

Use the 2cm long. Better to be longer...

You shouldn't have a problem. Like I said, I am using a allen head with a washer till the new bolt comes in.