Sign in to follow this  

National Enduro Format

If I am running an ICO Checkmate, What program can I use to program a race using the new National Enduro format? I would think it would help while in the transfer sections knowing where you are. Thanks

I'll give this a go even though I haven't run a new format race and I don't own an enduro computer. Everything I've gathered so far is that you would program your computer the same way. With the new rules, it seems like the approach is to ride as hard as you can until you hit a re-start. The trail is going to be hard enough that only the fastest AA guys will excede the pace of a test section, and the only burnable checks are going to be at the end of test sections. Once you check out and hit a transfer section, ride faster than the pace requires and stop at the re-start rather than 1/2 mile up the road from a possible. That's either the beauty or downfall of the new format, depending on your view. You no longer need to hide in the weeds to kill time if you get ahead of schedule on a transfer section.

What it comes down to is that your ico can start taking up space with your pong video game. You don't need it. You get a schedule that tells you how far between checks and when you need to get there. Basicly ride at a 80%. Then when you get to a special test, when they tell you to go haul ass. It does work, you don't need a timer and I think it will atract more people that don't want to shell out $300 for a timer.

What it comes down to is that your ico can start taking up space with your pong video game. You don't need it. You get a schedule that tells you how far between checks and when you need to get there. Basicly ride at a 80%. Then when you get to a special test, when they tell you to go haul ass. It does work, you don't need a timer and I think it will atract more people that don't want to shell out $300 for a timer.

Agreed, this new format is the best thing that could have happened to the sport of Enduro. It makes it easier to understand, and finally the fastest rider wins.

If I am running an ICO Checkmate, What program can I use to program a race using the new National Enduro format? I would think it would help while in the transfer sections knowing where you are. Thanks

Set as you would at any enduro. Only difference is in that you know where the check in checks are. I rode the Texas enduro and my only complaint was the sections weren't longer.

I like 8-10 mile sections. At least 6-8 miles minimum.

Dwight

Agreed, this new format is the best thing that could have happened to the sport of Enduro. It makes it easier to understand, and finally the fastest rider wins.

I'll wait to make any really bold statements about the new format like the one above until after the Quicksilver National next week, I'll see how that goes first. :applause:

I will say this though, if you just want to twist the throttle and hang on go for MX or one of the cross country formats. Enduros have always been all about a combination of skill, speed, endurance, and the ability to use your brain. Maybe the fastest rider doesn't always win, but the fastest rider that understands timekeeping and can still use his brain after 90+ miles usually does.

We're having two Nationals in our district this year, and I'm going to try to ride them both, but I am really glad that the rest of our enduro series is sticking with a timekeeping format. :applause:

I will say this though, if you just want to twist the throttle and hang on go for MX or one of the cross country formats. Enduros have always been all about a combination of skill, speed, endurance, and the ability to use your brain. Maybe the fastest rider doesn't always win, but the fastest rider that understands timekeeping and can still use his brain after 90+ miles usually does.

With or without timekeeping, an enduro is still the only place to go if you want to race true single track and that is what sets enduros apart from GNCC, WORCS, OMA, and the rest. Besides, with the advent of the modern enduro computer, how much thinking were you really doing?

With or without timekeeping, an enduro is still the only place to go if you want to race true single track and that is what sets enduros apart from GNCC, WORCS, OMA, and the rest. Besides, with the advent of the modern enduro computer, how much thinking were you really doing?

Lets see, Calulating where the next possible check could be ? Figuring where to take advantage of "Free Territory" ? Figuring where the check out check might be and how long the section really is ?

Lot of thinking on a Enduro.

Dwight

Lets see, Calulating where the next possible check could be ? Figuring where to take advantage of "Free Territory" ? Figuring where the check out check might be and how long the section really is ?

Lot of thinking on a Enduro.

Dwight

once you have a computer, all that other stuff is just 'guessing' not 'thinking'.

i like the old timekeeping format, but once everyone has a computer, i think it's kinda pointless.

once you have a computer, all that other stuff is just 'guessing' not 'thinking'.

i like the old timekeeping format, but once everyone has a computer, i think it's kinda pointless.

Come on now it is not GUESSING. You take in where there can be no checks , the terrain, speed average , etc. You calulate where you expect the next check to be. That is THINKING not guessing.

I used to really enjoy the ISDT qualifiers and this is about as close as it gets. I just hope they tweek the tests a bit longer so some endurance comes into play.

Dwight

Come on now it is not GUESSING. You take in where there can be no checks , the terrain, speed average , etc. You calulate where you expect the next check to be. That is THINKING not guessing.

I used to really enjoy the ISDT qualifiers and this is about as close as it gets. I just hope they tweek the tests a bit longer so some endurance comes into play.

Dwight

Hey Dwight,

What is the difference between the new format and the qualifier? Also, where were you?

I think this is why the AMA changed the timing format in Enduros. They are trying to get AMA Enduro riders in tune with the ISDE format so we no longer get spanked at the ISDE's, much less time keeping and more emphasis on the special tests.

I think this is why the AMA changed the timing format in Enduros. They are trying to get AMA Enduro riders in tune with the ISDE format so we no longer get spanked at the ISDE's, much less time keeping and more emphasis on the special tests.

This might be the thinking of the NEPG, but not the AMA. The AMA doesn;t give a rats ass how we do at the ISDE, and anyone who says otherwise has never been a six days rider. Its too bad but the AMA is a business and they are out to make money, and thats just what they do when its ISDE time. They don;t care about how good we do, how prepared we are, just that they make their money.

To be honest I don't care much about how we do at the ISDE either. Going fast on grass tracks just doesn't impress me much.

As for time keeping, who cares? I teach math for a living, why would I want to watch a computer and keep track of numbers during a race?

Also, even without a computer, I wouldn't call time keeping "thinking". It's just a matter of keeping track of some numbers and a bunch of b!tch-ass rules. So yeah, I'm all for re-starts.

Hey Dwight,

What is the difference between the new format and the qualifier? Also, where were you?

I was working at the Indy Motorcycle Expo.

The qualifier still goes by FIM rules. It is a bit but not a lot different than the new Nat'l format. Still read the Qualifier rules. The new format you still can run a computer. Qualifiers don't need a computer at all.

Dwight

Well the Quicksilver is history, so I guess I can comment now on the new format. I had a blast, and the format wasn't bad, a nice change of pace from timekeeping enduros. I still prefer the timekeeping format and am glad my local district is keeping them for our regular series, but this was okay for a once or twice a year thing.

I am a "C" rider, so in a national I don't think the format really makes a difference for me, they lay them out tough enough that I wouldn't be doing much timekeeping anyways.

I was only able to ride the first loop due to an injury, but I did make it to all the restart checks with time to spare while I was riding. Other than the conditions, which were pretty nasty and resulted in some big bottlenecks, the biggest complaint I heard from the "A" and "B" riders was that the AMA is getting just what they were after. The new format is evidently drawing Cross Country and MX riders to the sport, there was a bigger than usual turnout, and a lot of these new guys don't have a clue when it comes to enduros. Even with the new format a rider should yield when a faster rider catches them, and from what I heard that definitely wasn't the case quite often. I heard several comments about guys aggressively blocking faster riders, and riding over their heads to avoid getting passed. I started on the first "C" minute, and never caught up with the "B" guys, so this wasn't a problem for me personally, but I did hear it from a few experienced enduro riders that were riding farther up.

In the southeast under the old rules, even if your AA or national pro, your not going to burn any checks at the end of a section no matter how hard you ride. Well, maybe 2-3 a year you could burn, but that's about it.

So the new rules won't change much down here.