03/04/05 Crf450?

Hey guy's, Just sold my 05 YZ450F a few months back.... I'm going to be getting another bike this summer but wanted to try something different, So i figured i would go with the CRF450. I was wondering how well the bike runs. Anything bad compared between the 3 years im considering? If i can find an 05 for my price range i will go with that, Otherwise im sure i'll be picking up an 03/04....I've had great luck with my Yamaha's but its all i've ever rode, I think it's about time i try something new. Much help appreciated felluh's :censored:

An '05 is the way to go of the three if possible. The big change in '05 was the next generation of the aluminum frame so the frame, bodywork, plastic, etc is all the same from '05-'07. The motor was a bit better every year as well. Hope this helps

I'm about 6'2'' in height. What are the major changes in the motor? And what change in the frame? Is 03/04 still a good year for this bike? As far as reliability factor goes, I'm well aware that since it is a dirt bike i will have to do work on it(just like my YZ426/YZ450 was) but my yamaha's have been very reliable bikes as far as never really needing valve adjustments, and for that matter much work on it. Is the honda going to be the same way in reliablity as my yami was? Thanks for the input so far Shawn and MED

the yz426f is gonna be a bullet proof comparison to any crf. the honda is great dont get me wrong but the 426 was basically the 1st modern 4 stroke and had to hold up for it to all work and therefore was way overbuilt in terms of reliability. of course it was also way heavier than the crf and probably the YZ450(i never owned a yz450).

I had a 2001 426 and it was the most fun i had on a dirtbike since i was kid when i owned it. the 05 crf 450 i currently ride is basically the same way just lighter and more nimble. i had an 04 crf 450 and it was fun but not as much fun as the 426 or my 05 crf. just my $.02

Reed, If you can get an 05 that would of course be the first choice, it's newer. However, 03-04's are awesome sleds. I have not done any power mods to my 04 and it has mega juice and very nimble handling. These are great and reliable bikes and do not require any more wrench time than other bikes in their class, I don't care what anyone tells you. Take care of the bike and it will take care of you. One tip, if you get an 03, ditch the number plate asap for an 04 plate. They are friggin hideous! 03 number plate = :ride::censored:

Thanks for the replys guys i appreciate it......I think the next bike will be the CRF, I'll look for an 05, if i cant find one around the price i want to spend i'll for sure get an 04. I just feel its time to try something different, and because i dont care much for the KXF or RMZ, the only option left is the Honda, and its always been my second choice in a bike, Maybe once i get one, it will end up being my first choice in bikes. :censored:

• 1 year later...

Hey,

I had an '02 and now have an '05. I rode them back to back a while ago and can honestly say the frame on the '05 is much better (in my opinion). The 02/03/04 share something in common with the old '97 CR250R in that they're quite rigid. Meaning you feel a lot more of the small bumps/chop. My old '02 was kicking my a*s in the whoops where as my '05 wouldn't (as much anyway).

They are both good bikes though, and you'll more than likely be happy with either one.

Never had a stitch of valve issues with my '02 and put a lot (85+) hours on it, the intakes went on my '05 after 65 hours. But since putting kibblewhites in it, zero problems after another 60 hours.

Ride safe :D