Sign in to follow this  

525 exc, xc, xc-w, xc-g?

I am currently a WR rider looking to buy a 525 this year. I like the idea of street legal, but don't want to give up woods performance. I do not jump, but perfer hill climbing. I know that the internal gearing of the exc is wider than the xc, but how much different is the xc compared to the xc-w? At the dealerships they don't have info on the XC-g, but that is what is listed on the KTM website. What is that?

Help me make the right decision.

The EXC and XC-W have the same internal trans ratio's.

The 07 sprocket gearing is different on the EXC and should be changed to XC-W or 06 EXC gearing.

I feel sure you don't want the close ratio of the XC and it does not have 6th gear. If you added a 6th gear to your WR that is "about" what the EXC and XC-W would be like but 1st would be lower and 6th used for 60 mph and above.

Hi Jaggley, were you been hiding? I ordered an 07 KTM 400XCW myself. I rode a 05 525exc at Haspin, enormous torque but still easy to ride. Reminded me of a XR600 motor.

KTM switched their model names around for 07. Used to be EXC= enduro, MXC=close ratio off-road, SX=MX. Now the EXC got a bare minimum of street stuff and is street legal. Then it gets tricky on the XCW or XW depending on engine size. I thought the 525 used the same ratios since it has plenty of power. The 400 is XCW only, the 450 actually has different bore and stroke and trans for XC vs XCW, and the 250 is another story.

My advise, if you want the plate, can pay a few bucks more, and can remove the minor smog crap get the EXC. Here in Ohio getting a plate for my XR was so easy I went with the off-road XCW. I'll supply the plate.

PS, I rode at Haspin YESTERDAY! Over 1 foot of snow.

I checked the web site and your right. I don't see any reason you would need a close ratio 525 except very serious racing. I only used 2nd and 3rd on a 525exc at Haspin. It has the same ratios as the 400exc, so it will pull it no problem.

The newest jaggley family member is six months old and still keeping me tied to the house. The weather sucks anyway. I am going with the wife to the carribean at the end of march. After that, I will be ready to ride.

I can't believe you're gonna retire the XRs. Is the KTM for scrambles only, or are you going cold turkey?

I am really on the brink with the KTM 525. Gonna be a knock out, drag out battle with the queen if she sees blue and orange in the garage. My problem is, I don't want to sell my WR . You know I dont ride that much, and I can't stand the idea of getting screwed selling it cheap. With all my add-ons and the low hours I think it is worth 5 or better, but I doubt I could get 4 for it. You know anybody who might be kinda dim? I would never feel bad about finding a chump, cause I know how well taken care of my bike is.

I can't believe you're gonna retire the XRs. Is the KTM for scrambles only, or are you going cold turkey?

I sold the 2 '96 XRs and still have a 99 and 02, so I wouldn't say cold turkey. Maybe once I actually ride the KTM.

With all my add-ons and the low hours I think it is worth 5 or better, but I doubt I could get 4 for it. You know anybody who might be kinda dim? I would never feel bad about finding a chump, cause I know how well taken care of my bike is.

It's killing me buying a new KTM, original owner takes a big loss. I have bought several mint under 300 miles bikes (2 XRs,WR426) and paid 3K each.

I had a 04 KTM 400 with 260 miles bought for 4K but another guy snagged it before I got there.

I sold both my bikes here on TT classified.