Sign in to follow this  

new with klr250... need help

i just purchase a klr250

can someone please post all the cross reference oil filters that fit

the bike is running great.

what do i need to do to get it ready for a trip? [things to check]

`thank you

Auto parts stores (e.g., Pep Boys, Advance, etc.) have oil filter conversion charts.

Aftermarket (e.g., Fram) filters save a few dollars over genuine Kawasaki filters from your friendly local dealer, and . . . YOU GET FREE NEW "O" RINGS!!!!!!

That's right; you want new O-rings when you change your oil filter? Kawasaki charges extra for 'em. Surely, someone at Kawasaki Motors Corporation, USA, received a favorable performance evaluation for coming up with this idea . . .

------------------

Oh, yes; you said you were new to the KLR250. Don't intend insulting your intelligence, but . . . you do NOT throw away the entire interior "cartridge," as you might an automobile oil filter. A steel tube with bypass and check-valve in the center of your filter is to be saved and re-used.

I bought a used KLR250; someone with previous custody had changed the filter o.k., but--had thrown away the center oil tube . . . the replacement filter cartridge was sitting in the housing, but without the center oil tube, was not filtering anything.

The exploded parts diagram accessible from http://www.buykawasaki.com (Owner Info; Parts Diagrams) will show the filter and center tube, smaller diameter end of tube should be inward when you button it up.

I bought a 'lowly' KLR 250 on the cheap that has surpised me. After much detailing and time in the saddle, I've been very pleased with this `80s design... aside from the pitiful brakes, especially the mushball front brake. Tough, excellent handling and a very good motor with broad useable power, especially with carburetor tweaks (it is fuel starved). It's become my personal dual sport and a fun platform for technical dinking around.

You won't find much of substance on the web about the KLR 250 as the 650 commands the vast majority of attention. I've posted several jetting and gearing-related articles at rideok.com under the dualsport section, 'garage talk', if you are interested. Not much in this forum yet as I have just recently joined. The info there may help you.

By the way, on motorcycles, I generally change the oil every few thousand miles but do not change filters but every 2 or 3 years. Anything more is a waste and extra work for with no measurable improvement, in my ever-so-humble opinion.

You're SO right on so many scores, einfahrt!

An "obsolete" (no longer marketed new in the US) motorcycle's as dead as Mussolini's girlfriend, as far as Internet interest goes.

I change the oil filter every time I change oil; however, I don't deny this maintenance may be wretched excess, since the KLR250 and the KLR600's/KLR650's share the same sized filter, with 2X displacement difference.

But, bottom line; yes, the KLR250's adequate for many puposes, IMHO.