Sign in to follow this  

hotcams and loctite

When talking with the hotcams people they told me they pre-torque the bolts holding the cams to the sprockets using blue loctite. They do this so people can change the settings if they want. Was wondering if people who bought them unscrewed them and put red loctite on?

Hey Jim, I read recently that Eddie does Red Loctite them. Red as you know, has higher holding ability. The only downside is they can be a little harder to loosen with Red, but if it is infrequent (hopefully!!!) that is not a issue. Simply degree them, then Red/Torque/ride. I too use Red on any fastner that basically never has to be removed, Blue on those that have to be Loctited and removed frequently for regular maintenance.

I guess that makes sense since to properly set them up they should be degreed to the bike... or so I've read here. Just odd that the mechanic that did mine didn't attempt to degree them, but just went by what they said in the instructions and they (Hotcams) backed him up. Red loctite definetely sounds good to me. A bit off the subject but... I started using blue loctite for my snowboard bindings and no longer have to borrow a screwdriver to tighten them while on the slopes. :censored: