Sign in to follow this  

Troy Lee builds a prototype bike!

Man, this is cool. Hope the manufacturer's will take notice.http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/news/article/0,13190,1590953,00.html

YAMAHA.....please build one of these with the Raptor 700CC EFI motor. 5 valve, dry sump, wide 17' wheels, 6 piston brakes off the R1, Modern YZF aluminum frame, YZF suspension, a kick stand, and quality chain. Add on your already excellently designed electronics (electric start, speedo, odometer, tripmeter, etc)......I'll be the first in line!

also posted this in the General forum to generate some interest.

Man, this is cool. Hope the manufacturer's will take notice.http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/news/article/0,13190,1590953,00.html

YAMAHA.....please build one of these with the Raptor 700CC EFI motor. 5 valve, dry sump, wide 17' wheels, 6 piston brakes off the R1, Modern YZF aluminum frame, YZF suspension, a kick stand, and quality chain. Add on your already excellently designed electronics (electric start, speedo, odometer, tripmeter, etc)......I'll be the first in line!

also posted this in the General forum to generate some interest.

Don't forget to take out reverse and add a 6th gear.

A cut and paste from the General thread to give you folks more of an idea of what I am talking about.

I know MZ has a model similar to what I specified, I had a 1990 XT600 that came with front and rear discs and a 17' rear.

I want the whole thing modernized and freshened up. A new ALUMINUM chassis with state of the art suspension. EFI is the kicker though. Lots of products on the shelf ALREADY for the RAPTOR 700EFI with different maps, cam packages, etc. Pipes, cams are just a bolt on deal. No huge jetting hassles.

http://www.albaaction.com/service/in...700install.pdf

http://www.danacreechracing.com/cate...oduct-438.html

Here is a link to a decent article about the Raptor. I am not a quad guy but I am focusing on what they are saying about the motor and the EFI. I had an older version of one of these fantastic motors in a bike. I put over 25,000 miles on it before selling. It was huffing a bit of smoke but it still ran.

http://www.atvscene.com/machines/yam...idetest-06.htm

Just a few things I found in the above article to focus your attention on.

"If this were the old Raptor you would be swapping if you kept on pushing. With the new Raptor 700 the harder you pushed it the better it worked.

The Raptor 700 is going to be very user friendly for the rider who wants to have the biggest baddest sport quad out there. The Raptor’s engine delivers smooth all around power. Some of us felt that the machine was a bit weak off the bottom, making the EFI even more appreciated. You can bolt on a pipe and never have to mess with re jetting. On the old Raptor you not only had to re jet, you had two carbs to deal with.

My favorite thing about the Raptor 700 has to be the motor. The EFI allows the machine to run flawlessly from idle to redline. When a rider decides to add aftermarket accessories to the engine, the EFI completely eliminates the need for re jetting. EFI is definitely the future of ATVing and we will all be happier when that day comes. For 2006 and the new Raptor 700, -- that day is now.

The Raptor 700 is very quiet. Unfortunately the noise savings robs some of the power lurking in the 700’s engine. Down low the engine feels a bit soft and signs off a little early on top. While the soft bottom makes the motor easy to ride, racers will want a bigger hit off the bottom. An aftermarket exhaust should be all you need to unlock more torque and top end power.

The 700’s power was very impressive. The motor works best in the midrange and prefers to be short shifted. While it doesn’t rev quite as fast as the YFZ, it makes up for it by producing considerably more torque then the 450.

The first thing you notice about the Raptor 700 is the easy starting. You never have to touch the throttle. Just hit the start button and the EFI takes care of the rest. Throttle response on the machine is extremely crisp throughout the RPM range.While the low end felt a bit stronger on the old Raptor 660, the Raptor 700 more than makes up for it with perfect carburetion provided by the electronic fuel injection system. Don’t worry, the Raptor 700 still has plenty of torque for exiting corners a gear high, or cruising along at lower RPMs. The transition into the midrange seemed to be progressive and hit free. Perhaps the motor is truly this electric smooth. After the midrange, the motor will continue to rev out, but don’t get carried away. The motor will be working much more effectively if you shift rather than wring it out to the rev limiter. Overall it feels a bit faster than the old Raptor 660, but to fully comprehend the motors capabilities, I will have to get one in some soil offering better hook up."

Sorry but for my uses having a super high revving modern 450 motor that carries less than a quart of oil and is a maintenance hog isn't what I have in mind. I want something that could be RACED on a MX track, be raced at BAJA, or with a wheel set like I described turned into a supermoto weapon.