Sign in to follow this  

2001 CR250 jetting

I am the new owner of a 01 CR250 and love the bike so far. My only problem, the thing is VERY rich down low. Reeds are good (Carbon reeds, no cracking, look good), air filter is fresh, and oiled properly. The pilot was a 50 (thats right a 50). I put a 35 in it, and it still runs real rich to 1/2 throttle :censored:

Could I need a smaller pilot? I am running the bike in 15 degree weather, but it still seems rich....runs good mid-top. When coming in to corners (ice riding), the thing wants to shut off. Help. PC pipe/silencer, Yamalube 32:1, fresh 93 oct. Air leaks would make it "run on" right?

Thanks.

:censored: 32.5 pilot

410 main

needle #2 position

air screw 2 turns

end of problem, unless you have a gummed up power valve.

Try maxima K2 or Redline Synthetic, very GOOD premix that is P.V friendly..:ride:

Charlie....we meet again, how ya doin'? (formally Flattracker60, and ekarting regular). The bike would barley run with the 50...the air screw was WAY out (way past where it should be, maybe 3 turns out). I still have the air screw way out with the 35 (2.5 turns), it seems "better", but not right yet.

Ridered, are these your recomendations at 15 degrees? Maybe these carbon fiber reeds are making it run rich? I havent looked at the powervalve (have had the bike for a few days, and was excited to get on the ice...I only went over the vitals, light weight oil in trans, cleaned carb, fresh filter and oiled, etc.). Maybe I should take a peak at the PV. I wanted to ice race it tomorrow, I'm gonna ride my buddys YZ450 I guess.

dam.....cdaniels...WI.....must be getting old in my old age! that slipped right by me!! :ride::lol:

Sounds like that 32.5 r55 recommended should get you in the ball park.

Still hibernating. Playing with a couple of 6 winter projects. Working on turning a CB400F into an RC171 replica and a Gold Wing Interstate into a '40's style cruiser. At least I haven't blown up anymore 450s lately. :censored:

Buy a Boyesen rad valve or moto tassinari setup,, they work really well on the 01 and will REALLY help fine tune your bikes throttle response... If you have the 32.5 pilot in and your bike is still sputtering,, your needle is off then, what clip position is it??.. Just to get you buy this weekend, some VP U2 & 3 turns on the air screw will help alot, but isnt the fix ,,just a survival attempt. The jetting is probably WAY off every where judging by the nucklehead who put a 50 pilot in!:lol::ride: ... Your power valve has to be nasty thanks to that 50.....

Here's what I'd do when you get the money

JD jet kit $75

Boyesen rad valve or moto tassinari setup $150

Re pack your silencer $10

2 cans of brake cleaner to clean powervalve $4

You get that done, you'll swear your bike is a top fuel funny car..:censored:

Im gonna google PV and get an idea about how it works....my ski doo PV's were simple, and my CR125 shifter kart had it's PV removed...lol , (waiting for my shop manual). Are the PV's in this 250 simple stuff? Isnt the JD "jet kit" a needle and some main jets......for $75?

1) clean PV and install 32.5 pilot.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Charlie, that is why I have a 2 smoker now....those 4 dorkers dont go down cheap...lol Hope my buddys stays together today. Look for my sorry ass results from today at www.cwira.com I havent been to a ice race in almost 3 years.....gonna give the B class a try today. Later guys.

My local dealer had a 30 pilot.....what a difference.....crisp as hell!!! I still need to clean the PV, but this thing runs real good right now. I do need to find a 32.5 pilot.....anyone have an extra?

what do mean crisp? i am getting ready to redo mine. not sure what jets are there but i know not stock. Mine gets about mid throtle then sputter some then shots like a rocket. Have not had a chance to change as R55 recommended.

Mine was a blubbering idiot from idle to 1/3 throttle (pilot/slow jet controls this range)....even with the 35 pilot. With the 30 pilot, it's throttle response is awsome. Per the guys above, I need find a 32.5 pilot. But remember, I am running this bike in 15-20 degree temps....on the ice!! I would think for summer, I'll be back to the 30 pilot. Maybe my Carbon reeds are making my bike want a leaner pilot....who knows....LOL