snorkel in with DJ kit

I know that there are many jetting threads running around, and I've read most of them. After owning my '06 DR650 for a few months and reading the posts here, I decided that some tweaking was in order. So I installed the DJ kit. My results seem weird to me. I kept the stock muffler and air filter, pulled out the snorkel, put in a DJ155 main, and the DJ needle is 4th clip down. The bike ran great except at 1/4 throttle where it stumbled. So I put the snorkle back in, and now it runs great. I am in Austin, Tx and it was warm, 65F, and dry today.

Is anyone else running a similar set up? From what I have read, I should have made a bigger hole in the airbox, but instead I ended up leaving the snorkel. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Trauts,

I am doing the same mod probably tomorrow, did you have any trouble with the screws on the bowl everybody talks about? I was going to run to a local Ace Hardware that has an excellent supply of metric hardware and buy replacement screws. If you had trouble what size were the screws (pitch/length?) I'll let you know how it turns out.

I know that there are many jetting threads running around, and I've read most of them. After owning my '06 DR650 for a few months and reading the posts here, I decided that some tweaking was in order. So I installed the DJ kit. My results seem weird to me. I kept the stock muffler and air filter, pulled out the snorkel, put in a DJ155 main, and the DJ needle is 4th clip down. The bike ran great except at 1/4 throttle where it stumbled. So I put the snorkle back in, and now it runs great. I am in Austin, Tx and it was warm, 65F, and dry today.

Is anyone else running a similar set up? From what I have read, I should have made a bigger hole in the airbox, but instead I ended up leaving the snorkel. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you drill out the cover over the idle mixture screw? That needs to be done, and the screw turned out another turn, or so. You may have been too lean at the 1/4 throttle position. By putting the snorkel back in you reduced the air, which made it run cleaner, but you aren't getting the extra performance you'd get with the richer idle mixture and airflow.

TurbineTech2,

The screws on the bowl were a nightmare. I had to use liquid wrench and my impact wrench, and I tore the screws up pretty good. I replaced them with allens that Kientech sells. I don't know the exact size. I wish I had some advise for how to get them out, but just have patience, and don't get frustrated. Definitely replace them with allens.

I tried several other changes since my first post. I have adjusted the pilot screw out about 2 turns. The needle is on the 6th clip[ from the top without the snorkel. The midrange seems good, except for a stumble between 50 and 60 mph in 5th gear. Also on the highway if I deaccelerate, it is realy abrupt. I think I am good midrange, but too rich on top.

I saw a few posts from others who pulled the snorkel, but did not cut the airbox. what settings do you have? Jet, needle etc. Thanks.

This rejetting has taken much more fiddling than I expected. This morning I put in the DJ150 main, DJ needle on 6th clip from top, pilot screw out 2.5 turns, snorkelectomy with stock air filter and muffler. This seems to be working pretty well. No big holes or stumbles. It pulls cleanly and makes good power everywhere.

I think you guys must be way too rich in the midrange. I've got the side cover off/stock exhaust and mine's about perfect with the needle 4th from the top, 160 DJ main and the screw out about 2.5 turns. With just the snorkel out, stock air filter and exhaust I would start with the airscrew out about 1.5 to 2 turns, needle 4th from top and 150 or 155 DJ mainjet. I've run a race pipe with a 170 main and still never had to go richer on the needle. Just my experience, every bike is a little different.