Sign in to follow this  

bent rims

i just bought a 2004 crf250r today and i absolutley love it. i am coming off of a crf230 so you probably know what i feel like now. Engine souds wicked, lots of compression, starts like first and second kick and it is like 25 below zero here. the only thing i can find wrong with it is both rims on the right side are bent a bit and the tire is bulging out a tiny bit. its right above the rim lock on the front and it seems to me that the rim lock is waayyyy to tight. Its just the outside of the rim that is bent and the inside and left sides of both rims and spokes are perfect. Will this effect my driving any you think? any more tips or pointers would be great to hear, since i am new to these racing machines.

don't worry about them, unless they are overly bad, a little bit of a bent rim should be fine. If you get new rims, your just going to go out and bend them all over again, its just the way it is. (hit a rock unexpectedly etc)

And congrats on the new bike :censored: just keep up with regual maintenance and it will last you a long time and you can have a load of fun.

Engine oil change every 3-4 hours

Filter - 15 hours

Trans - 15 hours tops

Airfilter- as soon as it gets dirty

Lube chain and check tension before every ride

Check spoke tightness once and a while

etc.

Have fun with your new bike!

It won't hurt anything.

Next time you have the tire off use a 12" adjustable and bend it back if you want. I've done it before and it worked well.

ok, thats good to know, also, when i start checkin valves and clearences, the only took i dont have is a torque wrench, what kind of wrench should i get? i would get a click type, but should i get a 1/4 inch drive or 1/2 inch? thanks :applause:

you will need an inch pound wrench for the engine (usually 1/4" or 3/8"). If you want to spend less than 50 then get a guage type torque wrench. If you want to spend a little more, then get a nice clicker such as SK or JD. Dont get craftsman. And if you order from amazon, dont order from TOOL TOLOPIA or TOOL KING

those are called flat spots on your rims, usually the case is that whoever owned it before you probably didn't have enough pressure in his tires and slammed into a rock at speed causing the rim to contact the rock indirectly through the tire and the rock to bend the walls. Someone correct me if I am wrong but the strength will never be the same as new but they should hold up to riding fairly well. If you do get new rims be sure to run enough tire pressure so this doesn't happen and watch out for sharp hard objects or rocks.