Sign in to follow this  

2002 XR200R ticking

I am concerned about my wifes XR200R "ticking" noise coming from the engine. I figured it was over due for a valve adjust, so I did just that. The exhaust was in spec at .003 and the intake was tight. I adjusted the intake to .002. Fired it up, runs good... but the ticking is still there.:censored: Is this a normal sound from these XR200's? Anyone know what this is?

I have a 96 XR200R, and I had some valve tick, and my valves did need some adjusting, but after it was adjusted the tick was still there, what my problem was that the cam chain had stretched a little and it was slapping around making what I thought was valve tick, and it fixed mine, so maybe that's what your problem is. I was told that on the 200's the cam chains will stretch periodically, so you might check it out.

Thanks guys for the pointers, its appreciated.:applause: I spent some more time working on the bike Sunday. I took a paper towel roll, put it to my ear to try to focus the sound a bit more. And low and behold, the sound is coming from the exhaust valve area. As I was waiting for the motor to warm up, so I could do the cam chain adjustment, I noticed the ticking noise fading. I adjusted the cam chain, at least I hope it adjusted, as I read on here that the adjuster gets damaged by the pinching mechanisim causing the adjuster to get stuck...thank you Honda...:applause: In any case, after the bike got good and hot, I could still hear the ticking, but it was much quieter. I'm thinking its just a normal exhaust valve sound.

This happened to my 02 XR 200. It turned out that one of the bands that holds the cam chain snug broke in half. It made the bike tick like crazy because that cam chain was then bouncing around and slaping metal. Before I knew it the chain had jumped a couple of teath on the cam sprocket, and went out of proper timing and died. If you don't belive me look at my the parts I put on in my Garage section of this site.

Make sure the auto decompressor is adjusted as per manual also. :applause:

Old School Al

While adjusting the valves I made sure the decompressor was loose on the rocker arm. Could it be the decompressor mechanism is whats ticking? Unfortunately I don't have a manual.... I know, I know, best investment money can buy.:applause: Is there a simple adjustment procedure for the decompressor?

This happened to my 02 XR 200. It turned out that one of the bands that holds the cam chain snug broke in half. It made the bike tick like crazy because that cam chain was then bouncing around and slaping metal. Before I knew it the chain had jumped a couple of teath on the cam sprocket, and went out of proper timing and died. If you don't belive me look at my the parts I put on in my Garage section of this site.

SDK_CRFX... I sure hope this is not the case, if it is, sounds like I will find out for sure on the next ride...:applause:

Check the valve springs/valve guides too. If they are worn or anything, you will hear it ticking.

While adjusting the valves I made sure the decompressor was loose on the rocker arm. Could it be the decompressor mechanism is whats ticking? Unfortunately I don't have a manual.... I know, I know, best investment money can buy.:cry: Is there a simple adjustment procedure for the decompressor?

No manual :lol: ...............! :eek:

Sounds like your docompressor is not making the noise, but good idea check adj when valves are adjusted.

To adj. put crankshaft at TDC on compression like when you adj valves and you should have 1-2mm of free play at tip of decompressor lever on cyl head.

Want to scare yourself................................??? :applause: When you have the crank at TDC on comp, pull the pulse cover and try and wiggle the end of the cam shaft up, and then down and see how much it moves. :applause: Any comments on how this may affect valve adjustment...........??? :cry:

Old School Al

hmmm... Old_School.. you always have a riddle.:applause: Not having ever removed anything but the maintenance caps on this motor, I'm not sure exactly what the cam design looks like. But I would venture to say if the cam was moving, adjusting the valves would be fruitless. I don't like the sound of this!:applause: Damn these 4-strokes, they have way too many moving parts.:lol: BTW, I ordered a manual this morning. :cry:

:cry: Hey, if the old "what you don't know about wont hurt you" works, go for it!:applause: Never did work for me.............often wished it would have though.:lol:

Too many parts...............these are the simple ones!:cry:

:applause: On the manual, hope you got the one from Honda.

Old School Al

my 02 makes a ticking tinny noise . the noise comes from behind the cdi cover there is a plate in ther that cant be tightened. try taking that cover off on the top left side of the motor and see if its any louder