Sign in to follow this  

No idle / some backfire?

Well, okay.. flame on. I didn't drain my fuel line before putting it up for the winter. I normally ride during the winter and just didn't get the time for the past three months.

So here I am... I emptied the tank, drained the carb, new fuel (with some stabil this time) choked it, and it fired right up. But... it only ran with the choke in the full choke position, and if I gave it any throttle, it died!?!?!?

I let it run fully choked for awhile until hot, then found I could give it a little throttle. While giving it throttle, I pushed in the choke. I was able to rev the engine up, but quick releases of the throttle resulted in a bit of a backfire / sneeze sort of thing. Bike will not idle, and dies every time now. After hot, I couldn't restart easily.

Crap. :censored:

Any advise welcomed.

-f-

2002 DRZ400-S Jetted for altitude (but I don't know the details..)

Sounds like your pilot jet is blocked.

Remove the float bowl and pilot jet - inspect and clean. Personally, I would throw a new pilot jet in.

+1 DRZ-Head, carb is plugged up with old gas. Clean entire carb and your ready to go!!:censored: vanram

Thanks... I've avoided the whole carb thing as I've heard the removal is a bit tough.

I guess this is the time to learn.

-f-

Thanks... I've avoided the whole carb thing as I've heard the removal is a bit tough.

I guess this is the time to learn.

-f-

Not tough after the first time. Make sure you pull the subframe back. The carb comes out easily and goes back in quite nicely. The screws on the floatbowl are VERY stiff, and made of a soft metal. Make sure you use the right sized screwdriver for it. If there is any play its the wrong size:prof: