Advice on my 7-year old daughter

She's all girl, but she's strong and loves sports (I'm her soccer coach). She has done a bit of BMX on practice nights only. She sees dad riding and is getting interested. Now that she's beginning to take instruction better (listening to her dad), I'm thinking about taking the step to get her into easy trail riding, and a bit of beginner track (no competition, even though she keeps saying she wants to race). Since she does BMX, the only additional equipment she'll need are boots, and sundry pads... and a bike:

The 50cc bikes are just a little small for her (although she'll still have a ball), and by the time fall comes around, she'll likely fit into a PW80 nicely. I like the light weight of the 2T and since I can restrict it, it will suit her okay.

As far as training, my plan is to ease her into this v.e.r.y. slowly (too slowly for her, just fine for me). Being a former flight instructor, I'll do it the same way. A nice intro-walk around, followed by taxing practice... :censored:

Her first "ride" will be engine off, standing and sitting on the bike, getting used to the controls. Then I'll roll her down the street as she actuates the brakes and makes turns. Then I'll take the corked-up PW over to some nice wide-open spaces (I wish we had more grass, and less rocks in Arizona), and have her putt around.

Since I benefited from taking a class from Destry Abbott earlier in the month, I'll try to quickly locate a kid-class for her as well. They have those from time to time.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Rick

Phoenix, Arizona

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rick!

My daughter started on a PW80 as well. It was perfect for her. We started out with rolling her down the driveway without the motor...just like you described. She took right to it. Once you get her in rough terrain it will be a bit hard for her, but she'll get it. It's very hard to not 'coddle' her. Be supportive but strong.....I had to yell at my hubby. He was 'helping' too much. :ride:

The only part she really struggled with was kick starting it. But she finally got it. She was tired of having people start it for her.

Overall I have nothing but great comments about the PW80. It took every amount of abuse my daughter gave it....we even rode it on ice. Just be aware when you finally do pull the restrictor plates out....the little thing has quite a bit of oomph!!!!:censored: But it gave my daughter a ton of confidence and she has now moved on to a TTR125 and loves it. The PW80 is a GREAT bike to get the little ones going.

Make sure you post pics!!!

Ackshully, she uses a HJC (DOT-approved) dirtbike helmet. Most (all) BMXers here use MX helmets. Hmmm. I will have to get her a neck roll (just got mine last week).

Looks like we're all on the same page.

I'm suffering from a bit of a quandary on the location of the actual riding. Learning to ride in a rock-strewn desert with spots of sand and gravel isn't optimal. I also don't want her racing around the kiddie track her first time either.

I'll have to look up some kiddie classes as well.

Rick

Find a dirt/gravel road, if possible. I've never been to Arizona so I have no idea what you have there. Don't be too picky either....getting her going is more important than anything else. She doesn't know anything. So the sand isn't going to bother her a whole lot more or less than no sand...as long as you can get through it with minimal effort, within reason. My daughter actually liked the sandier stuff she learned in.

Here's Jolie sitting on my KDX220 last summer. She was riding with Mom in the Polaris Ranger.

HPIM2240_1.jpg

This is an area known as "The Bar" during a "Kidz Ride" last August. Lots of little rocks abound. Cholla cactus and other stickies.

HPIM2200.jpg

My daughter that just turned 9 has been on the PW 80 for a couple of years now. She loves the thing. I bought a ttr50 for my 6 yr old and I think the pw is easier to ride. I think the longer wheelbase and bigger tires make it easier to handle.

She is doing well and is going to be moving up to a kx65 this spring.

Excellent bike, around here there are classes that she can race in... And it takes a beating and keeps on running.... and kids tip over a lot, etc. I just wish there were more girls around that she could ride with.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/131/348209224_82b34b0b05.jpg?v=0

I'm not a mom, so no input other than to say what a cutie!

Thank you very much. I try to take care of myself with lots of man-products but...

Oh, you mean my daughter. :applause:

Her soccer team won 1-0 (I had to skip a race to coach it).

Rick

Proud Dad

Ackshully, she uses a HJC (DOT-approved) dirtbike helmet. Most (all) BMXers here use MX helmets. Hmmm. I will have to get her a neck roll (just got mine last week).

Good for you! A lot of parents don't investigate helmet choice all that well and buy whatever the bike shop has on sale. Most kids BMX helmets are so flimsy in my opinion. You are a super parent!

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd post this for an update.

I got her a $600 2004 CRF50.

She's a little big on it, especially now that she has boots, but it will work for the next six months or so. Then we'll see how she'll fit on at CRF70 or PW80.

HPIM3060.jpg

She's a little big on it, especially now that she has boots, but it will work for the next six months or so. Then we'll see how she'll fit on at CRF70 or PW80.

HPIM3060.jpg

Good choice, dead reliable little bike, and you'll probably be able to sell it for more than you paid for it.?

Look into Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF). I had my daughter take their class (state requirement here) and the instructors were awesome, they worked the kids up from step 1 of MC riding, and she came out of class a much better rider, with much increased confidence and skills. 90% of the day is spent on the bike, with low rider-instructor ratio (ours was 1:1)

http://www.msf-usa.org/

here's some advice, but not as a parent. When I was about that age, my parents were awesome enough to buy me a little honda 50 (which is still in our garage, I want to use it as a pit bike or something)I rode it until I outgrew it, and which point I got an 80, and the 50 went to my little sister, about the same age as your daughter. My dad actually made her some training wheels for it (no lie! lol) until she had the hang of it, then she rode around on it too. When she was big enough to try my 80 she did, but she couldn't get the hang of the clutch, so she gave up.

Just take'er nice and easy, and have fun!

here's some advice, but not as a parent. When I was about that age, my parents were awesome enough to buy me a little honda 50 (which is still in our garage, I want to use it as a pit bike or something)I rode it until I outgrew it, and which point I got an 80, and the 50 went to my little sister, about the same age as your daughter. My dad actually made her some training wheels for it (no lie! lol) until she had the hang of it, then she rode around on it too. When she was big enough to try my 80 she did, but she couldn't get the hang of the clutch, so she gave up.

Just take'er nice and easy, and have fun!

in case you didn't read through the whole thread...she already rides BMX

HPIM3060.jpg

AWESOME!!!!!?? Keep us updated on her progress. I love seeing the little girls ride! Good for you!!!

My youngest is 7...8 in September, and our next door neighbor has a 2002 PW80 for sale that runs great! Think this is an ok bike for a kid thats never been on one before? She's pretty tall so I think a 50 would be way to cramped for her....luckily he'll let us try before we buy to see if she's still interested after actually getting on one ?