Sign in to follow this  

06 Motor noise

I know there has been a lot of posts about motor noise so i'm not going to ask the members what they think the noise is but what to look for when I tear the engine down. I was in the middle of a practice moto and could hear a new sound coming from the engine. If it was two stroke I would say it sounds like piston slap. Besides checking valve clearence what else should I be looking for? and how do I check to make sure the cam chain tensioner is working? Thanks for any advice.

if it sounds like piston slap, it could very well be that, how many hours are on the piston/rings, if it is getting up to around 80 hours, it is definetly time for a new piston/rings/wrist pin and gaskets...

20 hours max. Its a rattle sound not a thump or tap and not real loud. There's a little vibration but does'nt get any worse with revs. The bike runs fine no power loss starts good no pops or backfires just a noise.

Noticed that beginning to happen with mine around 20 hrs, must be the carb slide. Valves are in spec bike starts no probs and its extremly well maintained.

hi, i have a crf250r 2004 model and i was out riding yesterday and it started making a new noise from the engine. im not the most mechanically minded person so im not sure what it could be. the only way i can describe it is the noise that you can normally hear from the silencer, also seems to be coming from the engine but not as loud and not as deep.its never made this noise before. can you give me any tips.

thanks matt