Sign in to follow this  

Buying a bike out of state?

I found a bike from an out of state dealer that has a really good deal shipped and everything. I mentioned this when I talked to a local dealer and they said because you don't have to pay tax on it right now, you will when you register/title it. Is that true? The out of state dealer says it comes with a certificate of purchase so I should be fine. Any help, especially people from Texas would be a great help.

you will pay some sort of sales tax if you plan on registration,etc.If the price difference is still big,I would do it anyway,you'll still be ahead money wise.

you will pay some sort of sales tax if you plan on registration,etc.If the price difference is still big,I would do it anyway,you'll still be ahead money wise.

I agree. The last few bikes I bought were out of state due to a smokin' deal, with the savings I got, it was worth it, even factoring in shipping costs. In Washington we are required to register our bikes to get an ORV tab, when you register, they get you with the sales tax.

Yeah I know of a lot of people that go out of state to buy. Not sure on how all the titling and stuff works though.

I agree. The last few bikes I bought were out of state due to a smokin' deal, with the savings I got, it was worth it, even factoring in shipping costs. In Washington we are required to register our bikes to get an ORV tab, when you register, they get you with the sales tax.

The difference at the moment is pretty big, but with tax on the out of state bike it evens out. Anyone know what reasons i would need to register the bike in Texas for?

you'll get an MSO with the bike,but if you want a title or register it like an ATV (Tug Hill area NY riding as an example),you get hit.If the deal is good,then it still makes $ense.If it's just for mx or closed course,then it's even better.

The difference at the moment is pretty big, but with tax on the out of state bike it evens out. Anyone know what reasons i would need to register the bike in Texas for?

In case it gets stolen.

Is it a new bike? I think you have to register and title new bikes now but with an older one I'm not sure why you would do it. I bought my CR500 out of state from Burned and all went well.

Yeah, I saved over $500 in tax buying my bike in PA ( I live in NJ ). I thought I was being smart and getting over. But Now I have to pay the tax to get it registered at DMV. It's the old "pay me now or pay me later deal". If you dont intend on getting it registered then it's the way to go. But I just put off the inevitable. Don't make the mistake I made, pay the tax to the local joker and get it over with. It's not worth the aggrevation.

Yeah, I saved over $500 in tax buying my bike in PA ( I live in NJ ). I thought I was being smart and getting over. But Now I have to pay the tax to get it registered at DMV. It's the old "pay me now or pay me later deal". If you dont intend on getting it registered then it's the way to go. But I just put off the inevitable. Don't make the mistake I made, pay the tax to the local joker and get it over with. It's not worth the aggrevation.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. What caused you to register the bike? Insurance or local riding organizations?

You are not required to register a dirt bike in Texas. The only reason you would need to is if you plan to DS it and want it street legal. If you plan on doing that, you could ask the seller to date the bill of sale prior to October 1, 2006. The reason for this is that Texas recently passed a law that for motor vehicles you pay tax based on the blue book value of the bike. Prior to Oct 1 of '06, tax was based on the selling price. So, if you can get the bill of sale dated before that, and you are getting a great deal, you will pay less taxes if you register it. Of course, the above would be illegal, so it's up to you. Lucky for me I actually bought my bike from out of state in early September.

As far as if the bike is stolen, just keep the title in a safe place so that you have the VIN handy. If anything happens, just report the VIN to the police. Other than plating the bike, there is no reason to register it with the DMV.

not really,it's pretty basic.Buy out of state and save if you don't have to register for any reason and save or just buy locally.I would still look for deals across state lines because some dealers do offer big enough discounts to still justify out of sate purchase if you are registering.Don't be afraid to travel a couple of hours for the right deal,especially if your local dealer isn't that hot service wise.

You are not required to register a dirt bike in Texas. The only reason you would need to is if you plan to DS it and want it street legal. If you plan on doing that, you could ask the seller to date the bill of sale prior to October 1, 2006. The reason for this is that Texas recently passed a law that for motor vehicles you pay tax based on the blue book value of the bike. Prior to Oct 1 of '06, tax was based on the selling price. So, if you can get the bill of sale dated before that, and you are getting a great deal, you will pay less taxes if you register it. Of course, the above would be illegal, so it's up to you. Lucky for me I actually bought my bike from out of state in early September.

As far as if the bike is stolen, just keep the title in a safe place so that you have the VIN handy. If anything happens, just report the VIN to the police. Other than plating the bike, there is no reason to register it with the DMV.

Thank you very much, that cleared it up greatly.

You have to pay the Texas sales tax when you apply for a title if you haven't paid it in the state you purchase the bike. I bought a car in La. last year and they collected the TX taxes and even handled the registration. There is no way to get out of paying the taxes and get a legal title in TX.

Just figure the taxes and add that to the money you need for the purchase.

Copper

One more thing. Don't get caught falsifying a title application in TX. I'm almost positive it's a FELONY. A little money is not worth going to jail in my book.:applause:

I'll get off my soap box now...

Copper

But if I'm not registering it, why should I get a title? The dealer says it comes with a MSO, and that should be find if I'm not getting a street title.

But if I'm not registering it, why should I get a title? The dealer says it comes with a MSO, and that should be find if I'm not getting a street title.

Exactly, you don't have to have a title if you are fine with the MSO.

BTW, I bought mine used, so the previous owner handed me the title and I signed it. It's legal, and I didn't have to pay any tax.