Sign in to follow this  

KLX250 to TE250; a big enough jump?

Ok, I've got an '06 KLX 250; decent "trail" bike, but I want more power and better suspension. I ride mostly Georgia forest/gravel roads, jeep trails, mud, hills, some single track and woods. I'm 6'1", 210 pounds, average skills.

I'd like enough power to loft front wheel; looking for light, powerful bike. Would go to TE450 or KTM 450 EXC, but don't want extra weight.

Anyone happen to ride a TE250 and been on a KLX 250 to compare?

Opinions on whether the TE250 will be a big enough "jump" in handling/power compared to KLX?

Thanx, Lance

The Husky 250 is quite a bit easier phisicaly to ride than the 450,although some might think the extra ponys make the 450 easier,both are capable of being on gold medal pace in the 6 day,they are road registered race bikes that will not beat up the rider and help him last as I side the 6 day.I have not ridden the other bike but I expect it quite a bit off in spec to the Huskys,they handle great and are very fast.

I've ridden both and now ride a TE450. The KLX is a great trail bike which can go anywhere, despite being a little underpowered. I believe that the TE250 is a big enough jump. The TE250 engine likes to be revved to perform and does not have nearly as much low end as the KLX but has much more middle and top end performance. The biggest gains, in my opinion, are in suspension, ergonomics, chassis and overall quality.

+1 for the TE 250. I've ridden the KLX300 several times and my 250 feels lighter, a bit more powerful esp. in the mid and upper revs, and has much better handling and suspension. I'm 220 lbs and ride dual sports and enduros with mine, B class. I am putting in the 300 kit for more low end but i ride a lot of technical, tight, hilly stuff and i want to be lazier with the clutch and shifting. I like the Husky better than the KTM 250 for the handling and ergos as well. The TE feels like more of a racer than the Kawi but less of a racer than the KTM.:applause:

I cannot but agree with several previous comments. I do have a KLX250 and considering a TE 250. I´ve ridden both and the Husky seems a perfect upgrade for tight single-track trails, which I fancy. My primary use is for weekend trails and enduros.

But still in doubt between a CRF250X and a TE 250.

Cheers from Brazil!!!

:applause: