Sign in to follow this  

Best Muscles To work Out?

The best workouts are ones that involve explosive movements like power cleans and squats and anything in between that

Squats, deadlifts, cleans and presses These few simple exercises wil give you plenty of strength and endurance.

Never ever bulk up. It is the worst thing you can do. The more bulk you have, the more energy is used up and the more you weigh.

A great muscle to develop is your forarm muscle. If youre riding a rough track or a rough trail and your arms pump up, its because the lactic acid is building in your forarms. You have to develop them to stay ahead of the lactic buildup.

Bulking up can not hurt. Lift as much as you would like. Throw in some cardio also to get that heart rate down for race day. Also, upperbody workouts do not have to be explosive. You need to do reps. If you can bench 180, then put on 125 and do it twenty times a couple sets. That is endurance. You are not lifting your bike in the race, your riding it. Get those muscles tone and cut down and ready to win a race.

Bulking up is the worst thing you can do if your wanting to get rid of arm pump. doing more reps is what you want. If your like me and skinny then bulk up alittle at 1st then start doing longer reps.

wow, for what possible reason would bulking up be a bad thing? i almost never get arm pump and in the last 2 years i have bulked from 165 up to 200

I think bulking up can be an advantage especially for this kid. Getting 10-15lbs of muscle would allow him to manhandle the bike to a much greater extent than now, I would presume.

Yes, finally someone agress with roberts814! I am an avid lifter, I dont get arm pump. So, IMO... go lift, it cant hurt. Another plus is when you wreck you dont have to have a flag guy come pick up your bike for you cause you didnt want to "bulk" up and wanted to stay scronny. Skinny kids suck!

At the gym i do:

Day 1

chin ups, pull ups, decline and flat bench press, tricep bench press and bicep curl

day 2

squzts, locked leg deadlift, lunges, military press and standing row.calf rises

Abs and lower back 3 times a week.

5 sets 5-3 reps on the main excersies

3 sets 5 reps on the rest

Once every two weeks i exchange a day for deadlifts, powercleans and clean and jerks.

I get my cardio from riding twice a week, and one day of cardio training like the ones i used to have when i was playing football.

So far it has been all good.

The best thing of gaining muscle is that it will be less likely for you to break something if you crash. Besides youll handle the bike better, and will feel more confident.

BTW eventhough my routine is heavy loads-low in reps I havent gotten bulky. It is the 8-10 reps routines you have to stay away from. when i did those i felt clumsy and sore, and i wasnt flexible enough to ride.

i used to be a little smaller than you but have been working out and bulked up 15 pounds, sure it doesnt make you and your bike lighter but i think it helps with endurance and hard blows (much easier to recover from near crashes) i no longer have any problems with arm pump. so i dont know for sure wether bulking up has anything to do with arm pump if you do it in the right way.

When lifting dont forget to work your legs they are the most powerful part of you and dont forget your abs, they hold you together.

depending on how much time you have, try and stretch in an effort to become more flexible, less likely to pull something.

Hey guys I have been wondering about mx workouts myself here is my current schedule:

I do 5 sets with at least 5 reps for each exercise

Monday: Chest(Flat dumbell bench, dumbell incline, dips, flys) Triceps (2 machines and a few other things I dont know the name of) 30 minutes of eliptical (sp?) after all of that

Tuesday: Back (3-4 differant back workouts. Dont know the names.) Bicep (a few differant kind of curls) 30 minutes of eliptical

Wednesday: offday, 45 minutes of eliptical

Thursday: Legs (squats, legpress, hip,ab/induction and a couple other exercises. About 7 in all) Abs (5 sets of 50 crunches on an exercise ball, and 2 other machines)

Friday: Shoulders (military, 2 differant machines, and I grab a 25/35 lb plate and just raise it up to head level in front of me

When I am taking my time I can get through in about 1 hour. (per body group) Sometimes I will get to talking and will be in their as long as 3 hours on mondays, tuesdays, and thursdays. Am I doing too much or not targeting the right areas?

I am 5'8" and weigh 175lbs. (I still have about 5-8 lbs of fat to lose before my six pack is really visible)

Yes, finally someone agress with roberts814! I am an avid lifter, I dont get arm pump. So, IMO... go lift, it cant hurt. Another plus is when you wreck you dont have to have a flag guy come pick up your bike for you cause you didnt want to "bulk" up and wanted to stay scronny. Skinny kids suck!

not to bash on what you are trying to say but im 15 years old, 5'8", and weigh 135lbs. my bench max is only 125 and i can still pick up my dads 450f after a hard 4 laps of racing. my key to success is the cardio workouts. my weekly training goes something like this:

3 times a week an hour to an hour and twenty minutes of cardio

3 times a week an hour to an hour and twenty minuets of weight lifting

good luck with whatever workout works for you because it is all based on your body. happy riding:ride:

"much easier to recover from near crashes"

I think this is a very important and often overlooked benefit to strength and its use in riding. I have only been riding for a little over a year and I am certain that my strength has kept me from eating dirt becuase when you make a significant error and the bike gets squirrely, with strength you can keep it under control to a much greater extent. And we are not talking about superman strenth but if you can bench 225 lat pull 190 fo reps you are going to have an advantage over a guy who struggles with 135. I think I suck at riding but I know I am fast because my strength allows me to make the bike my bitch 99% of the time.

I suggest that you stick with heavy, compound lifts such as squats, deadlift, bench, standing overhead press, chins, barbell rows, dips etc. Try to eat six smaller meals a day and stay away from processed foods.

not to bash on what you are trying to say but im 15 years old, 5'8", and weigh 135lbs. my bench max is only 125 and i can still pick up my dads 450f after a hard 4 laps of racing. my key to success is the cardio workouts. my weekly training goes something like this:

3 times a week an hour to an hour and twenty minutes of cardio

3 times a week an hour to an hour and twenty minuets of weight lifting

good luck with whatever workout works for you because it is all based on your body. happy riding:ride:

You are the same size I was at that age. You will hit a spert and put on some pounds... I agree with everything you do and say about working out... Mine is similiar.

The good thing about the routine i previously posted is that its focused on multijoint power excercises.

Plus you train the whole body twice a week... plus you dont overtrain any muscle group because there are very little excecises for each part, but they are the most eficient. Remember that you train biceps and triceps when you train back and chest, specially if you do heavy loads.

Eat smart 6 times a day is great but 5 times a day is easier.

A protein shake or a meal suplement could be a meal. It makes life easier.

Rest is important so be sure to leave 2 days between each routine.

Ex Upper body monday, leg shoulder tuesday, upper body thursday, leg shoulder friday.

You can do the three day cardio, including riding any day. But make sure to have a day off.

week one

Monday - Upper

Tueday - Cardio

Wednesday - Lower

Thursday - Cardio

Friday - Upper

Sat/Sun - off

Week 2

Monday - Lower

Tuesday - Cardio

Wednesday - Upper

Thursday - Cardio

Friday - Lower

sat/sun - off

Week 3 - same as week 1. (Keep alternating between weeks 1 & 2)

or you can do a full body routine 3x a week

mon or tues.

wed thur

fri sat

You can turn a regular protein shake into a meal replacement if you would like.

ex: 2 cups skim milk

2 scoops whey protein

1 cup oats

2 tbs natural peanut butter

1 banana

Blend together and enjoy.

Do compound workouts, not isloation excersices. For example going to the gym and doing curls, tri. extensions, pec flys, hamstring curls and leg extensions will not help the muscles you use while riding a dirbike. You need to do workouts that involve lots of muscles little ones and big ones. Try doing squats, presses, power cleans, stuff like that and do lots of reps.

My 2 cents