Sign in to follow this  

Rad Sealer

sometimes when im riding on trails i an miles away from the truck, and if my rad on my bike gets damaged, theres a good chance it will take me several hours to push/tow my bike through muddy trails and up long hillclimbes.

i found some rad sealer at my school and thought it would be good idea to throw some in my pack because theres a chance it could get me goin well enough to ride back to camp.

ive also heard that it will build up in the water passages and rad.

should i bring this with me when on long rides? or will i regret using it?

RadSeal.jpg

Thanks

I've seen things like liquid steel, I'm guessing that's what it is. I don't see why you wouldn't take it, anything is better than nothing :censored:

You will regret using it. That stuff is crap and can be very damaging to a cooling system. Especially one as small as a bike has.

Another easy and lightweight thing to bring with you is pepper. Yes pepper, like salt and pepper. Bring a few little packages of it like you get at a fast food restaurant drive-thru. If you crack a radiator just put a few of those into the radiator coolant and it will plug up the leak. My friends and I do a weeklong Mexico trip every year, we make a big loop over 7 days of riding with no chase truck. We have to carry all are clothes, tools, first aid kit, and supplies for a week on our backs so any weight we can shave we do. We have found it is small to pack, lightweight, and it works great.

• Like 1

Another easy and lightweight thing to bring with you is pepper. Yes pepper, like salt and pepper. Bring a few little packages of it like you get at a fast food restaurant drive-thru. If you crack a radiator just put a few of those into the radiator coolant and it will plug up the leak. My friends and I do a weeklong Mexico trip every year, we make a big loop over 7 days of riding with no chase truck. We have to carry all are clothes, tools, first aid kit, and supplies for a week on our backs so any weight we can shave we do. We have found it is small to pack, lightweight, and it works great.

Are you serious? Major reps if that actually works! :censored::ride:

I carry a small bottle of Bars Radiator Stop Leak. Worked great the one time I needed it and I never saw a speck of it last time I changed my coolant.

Believe it or not "sometimes" it works. It's worth a try and it's easy to carry some in your pack. Keep in mind you need to carry at least a full tablespoon of pepper to try to stop a small leak.

Yes it works, we have done it several times. Obviously if the crack is too big it will flow right out with the coolant but we have never had that happen. Every time we have done it has worked. It’s so small and lightweight to carry too.