Sign in to follow this  

drz400e came jetted and derestricted new

I bought my drz400e late in 2006 new from Peter Stevens in Dandenong (victoria, australia). They gave me the lid off the airbox and the exhaust restriction in a plastic bag. I got the fright of my life when I started it up - it was loud. I tried putting the exhaust restriction back in to quieten it down, or at least until I got a jet kit for it because I didn't want it running too lean - it wouldn't start. So I've been running loud, using some valve saver in every tank and ordered a jd kit from TT. It came, so I removed the main from the carb only to find it was a 165 - the same as the biggest jet that came in the kit. I put the jd kit 165 in anyway just in case it was different. Next, I looked at the needle - it looked the same as the blue needle in the kit and was already on the 4th clip. I whacked in the jd kit needle anyway thinking that maybe there was a minute difference in the taper that I couldn't see. I also removed the spark plug to have a look at that - it was on the dark side and wet but clean. I assume it was wet from the valve saver. The bike runs like it did before, no change. I was happy with it before, but just concerned that it was probably running lean. It was worth it for peace of mind. I'm just letting you guys know so that you can maybe check it out befor ordering a kit.

i am green with envy i am from NZ but live in mout isa QLD now we want to retire in VIC we love it down there i belive its the bike capital of OZ bikes are always 1000 buck cheaper than anywhere else in OZ and if this is th service you are getting it makes me want to retire all that much sooner.

i bet there is some sweet rides down there.

PS did they say why this was cant see them spending money for no reason was it a experiment or something or did they pep up a test bike to sell more or something?

I have no idea why it was done or if it was. I assumed they just derestricted it, which would have been a 10min job. I'm wondering if it just came with the bigger main. Peter Stevens is a high turnover dealership, they are one of the cheapest in victoria, so trying to get info out of them is hard (lots of employees, lots of bikes moving, I was 1,000 customers ago). It hadn't been ridden though, I could tell by the tyres and chain. It is pretty easy to check the main, so I was just letting people know in case it is more than a once off.

Yeah, you'd love it here. I live in traralgon. I am familiar with Mt Isa, and the distances you have to travel to find interesting country. My adventure starts 20km from where I live to the Strezlecki ranges. 2 mornings a week I do a 70km enduro ride to get to work in the mornings. Several times a week I come back through the ranges to get home. I never see anyone, so much so that it is a bit of a safety concern (no phone coverage if something goes wrong). Although sometimes I see signs of other riders on the bigger tracks but more than likely from the weekends. At a rough calculation I have conservatively over 1000 square kms of riding area that is isolated, but close by. It is a lot of pine plantation, state parks, isolated farm land. There are a lot of huge climbs, decents, undulating 80km/h tracks, creek crossings, and the full range of terain. I consider my biggest danger to be wallabies (little kangaroos). Although I am getting pretty relaxed with them, or they are getting pretty relaxed with me, I haven't had a big scare with one for a while (the last one that jumped literally one meter in front of the bike out of thick bush on a closed in track, he got a big scare too, lost his composure and took a tumble). Oh, and lyre birds. Mostly now they don't seem to jump out at the sides, I find them sitting in the middle of the track, and they belt down the track looking for their exit point.

We also have the great divide to the north about 30km away. I'm still busy exploring the strezleckis so haven't ventured that way much. And lots of isolated beach within 80km and you can mostly go through the bush to get there.

Navigation is pretty easy. Generally I go by the sun, if its cloudy I pull out my compass every now and then. The area is surrounded by some fairly major unsealed roads which are pretty obvious if you run into one.

If you come down this way I'd be happy to show you some of the tracks (and have someone else to ride with:-)).

Ooops, I just re read your reply - you're from NZ. The strezleckis wouldn't quite compare with what you're used to:-)

sounds sweet

funny thing was we only come here for a month or two to see my brother and then we were moving to VIC still here 9 years later:bonk: anyway we are going to move one day but it will be a while yet get all our kids through scholl and good jobs before we move..

glad you having a ball thats what bikes are all about out on yr own having fun and those little moents we all have in life(if we take the time see them).

I bought a 400sm off Peter Stevens a month ago, wasn't planning to, just in the shop for a look around. Good salesman!

Anyway, I have been reading up on Thumpertalk and took note of the improvement that opening the airbox and installing a jet/needle kit will do for performance.

So I did the airbox mods and noticed a difference, but the bike ran out of puff the further you wound it on.

I ordered a Moose kit specific for the sm and an adjustable screw[keintech] and some carb bowl bolts from the Thumpertalk store.

Excellent service, ordered on a Wednesday, arrived here the following Monday.http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

I used Fedex international Priority Express, I should have used the Economy service , would have saved me a fair whack of dough, though would have taken a little longer to get here.

The installation of the kit was fairly staight forward, just followed the instructions, I put the 155 jet in, needle clip 2nd from top and the kit spring.

While doing the installation I did notice the plug covering the screw was already removed and one of the intake hose clamps was loose.

The bike may have been de-restricted before being sold, but I am not certain.http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/excuseme.gif

The kit made a noticeable difference to not only the top end but also off idle [quarter throttle?] which made the bike smoother to ride in slow traffic.

And a seat of the pants appraisal, I think it has improved the overall throttle response. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

I only have 650 kilometres on the bike so I expect the top end to open up more when it is run in.

For anyone in Australia, I don't know if it is cheaper or dearer to buy from the States, I didn't check out our local prices.

If you do place an order, just be careful with what delivery mode you select, once you select it, thats it , you can't change, I'm not an expert at international ordering though.

what ever they have most the time its the same or 5 or 10 bucks more than shipping from AU somewhere( i live out in nowhere so its the same to me from anywhere)

G'day fellow Aussies...or should I say ANZAC's for 000ShaDoW000's sake? :censored:

I bought a 2'nd hand 05 DRZ-E (with both SM and dirt wheels) from Springwood Suzuki here in Brizzy a month ago. I asked the salesman if he knew if the previous owner had de-restricted and/or re-jetted it. He said it was bought new from them and they always do that anyway. Springwood's one of the biggest suzi dealer's in the land, certainly the biggest in QLD and gave me great service - one of the reasons they do so well I guess :ride:

Good to know regarding TT ordering - after checking accessory and OEM prices here - even with shipping it's gonna cost a lot less getting stuff from TT...:lol:

G'Day Guys

Nice to see some aussies having a yarn!

I've just bought a DRZ400E 06 from Springwood Suzi and they also have said that it has been de resticted from new.

Although ,I have this well known "off idle bog" happening to me aswell. Have asked local Suzi dealer whom says to remove snorkel and turn mixture screw another half turn.

Yet after another ride....same problem.

Whats going to be requried to fix once and for all??

And has anyone heard of a restrictor between the inlet manifold or one at the exhaust manifold on the DRZ 400 06???

Many Thanks

G'day Shaky 1.

The "off idle bog" and all round throttle response has been improved since I opened up the airbox and put the jet/needle kit in.

The dealers must be de-restricting them, but from what I can gather from reading this forum, and my own experience, is you need more than just a re-jet to get them running sweet.

In regards to dealer de-restrictions on my own bike, the snorkel wasn't in the top of the airbox and the plug covering the mixture screw was missing.

I can't read the jet size of the original jet, so I don't know if it has been replaced.

Talking to a bike mechanic about inlet/exhaust restricters, he said the bike will hardly run at all if they are installed. He thought they didn't come with them anymore.

Cheers

G'day Shaky,

Thats a good article,your machine has the carby it is describing.

My bike has a Mikuni CV carb.

If it was me, would take a punt with those mods, the carby you have is very tunable.

Go to the jetting forum and you will get all the info you need.

All the best.

G'Day Guys

Nice to see some aussies having a yarn!

I've just bought a DRZ400E 06 from Springwood Suzi and they also have said that it has been de resticted from new.

Although ,I have this well known "off idle bog" happening to me aswell. Have asked local Suzi dealer whom says to remove snorkel and turn mixture screw another half turn.

Yet after another ride....same problem.

Whats going to be requried to fix once and for all??

And has anyone heard of a restrictor between the inlet manifold or one at the exhaust manifold on the DRZ 400 06???

Many Thanks

Hi shaky

Yeah like I said, my 05 E was 12 moths old when I bought it from Springwood - never seen the dirt though and looks new. So I have no idea of the jetting and haven't had a chance to check yet - but this thing goes like the clappers, I'm very happy with the throttle response, no bog anywhere, so maybe it's already had a kit put through it. Everything else appears stock though (apart from the trick 'tard wheels and rotors of course :applause: ) Oh and no snorkel so that's effectively the 3x3 mod too. Stock exhaust - baffles out.

There is a restrictor between the air boot and the inlet manifold that's one of the fist things to go as part of the de-restricting process so Springwood shoulda done that for you.

I'd say yours definitely needs a jet kit - the JD kit's the one to go for according to all the experts here on TT. :applause:

Cheers guys

I'll put my order at TT shortly. I checked out Ballards and can save $60+Au through TT.

I'm also looking into either Rad Guards or Rad supports for the DRZ.

What I'm thinking is the Rad supports would assist in reducing damage to the core but allow the lightweight plastic vanes to do there job at the front without building up mud compared to the Rad Guards; and potentialy over heating.

Any thoughts?:applause:

Can't help you on that one Shaky.

I have a question though, do you know of an ignition switch mounting bracket that I can use with a set of fat bars.

I couldn't get the standard switch bracket to mount with the bars.

At the moment I have the ignition switch zip tied to the front brake hose.

I think zip ties are the new fencing wire [hold anything and everything together!]