Sign in to follow this  

Homemade XR200 pipe

Well, so far its in the concept stage, but it started out as only going to be an end cap for the stock pipe, simply to just update the looks of the stock pipe. Well, my brother is currently making some LED helmet lights for Mt biking, and got to talking to him where he gets his aluminum. Well he gave me the link to the site and I got to measureing the stock pipe and surfing that site and thought i could make a new pipe for cheap. My wife used to have a supertrap disc pipe on her bike, but when she got pregnant the first time and the bike sat we sold the pipe to a friend for his wifes bike and took their stock pipe in on trade. Anyway, My wife hates the sound of the stock pipe with the baffle removed. Since all the aluminum I was looking at was about $40, I will have to turn the endcaps on the lathe to fit the pipe. I thought this would be a neat project to do. I know my wife doesnt want to spend the money to get an FMF pipe, and I really didnt care for the sound of the Supertrap.

Anybody have any ideas? I was thinking of using 3.5" OD pipe with an ID of 3.37". Then using 2 3.5" round stock one cut to 3" and the other at 1" thick, turned to fit in the end of the pipe just like the aftermarket pipes. Then fit the pipe to the existing stock "mid pipe". Then machining a frame mount and have it welded to the can. Then on the inside of the endcap attach the a S/A screen to make it woods legal.

• Like 1

I thought about doing something similar with my project, then I came across a used crf150 Big Gun muffler and pipe for about $100.00. All I had to do was to shorten the mid pipe and turn it slightly, then weld a mounting bracket on the header pipe. It all went together better than I thought. Take a look.

After2.jpg

Sweet,

I had also just remembered reading something somewhere that a YZF250 header pipe will fit an XR200. It just so happens that a buddy of mine has a spare I could borrow to see if it does, and then mount the new pipe up to that.

I had also just remembered reading something somewhere that a YZF250 header pipe will fit an XR200. It just so happens that a buddy of mine has a spare I could borrow to see if it does, and then mount the new pipe up to that.

I'm not so sure how that YZF header and a custom pipe will perform on a 200. I'm currious to see how this turns out but I'm almost certain that your going to suffer on bottom end with that big 250 header. I would use the stock header.

I just got a ProCiruit Slip On Silencer(T-4) for my son's 94 XR200R. Its Loud and makes good Power down low and better than the Stock Muffler(Heavy).

Needed to Re-jet with a 42/112 and dropped the needle clip to the 1st notch, Good strong Power and quick response on the throttle.

Next waiting on the Fork and Shock Springs. Already have replaced & recond. the rear shock with a reservoir type but the spring is too soft. So is the front. Spending some $$ here for this 200 but its going to be his beater bike for now.

I'm not so sure how that YZF header and a custom pipe will perform on a 200. I'm currious to see how this turns out but I'm almost certain that your going to suffer on bottom end with that big 250 header. I would use the stock header.

If his wife keeps it in the upper RPMs most of the time then it might be a good idea to try that 250 header. I agree though if the bike is going to be mostly stock then I would leave the stock header pipe and just use a slip on muffler.

Well, then would buying a Big Gun exhaust for a yz250f be worth a shot. It would take a little fab work too, but would be better than a crf150 exhaust wouldn't it???

Well with a bigger header you are going to lose lots of bottom. That's why 150's and 200's come with such a small header. I'm thinking that the that come on these bikes stock would be better, because a YZ 250F and a XR 200 are no wear nere the same. If you want a good header buy a BBR header, it's made for the bike.

Well thumper any updates yet?

Well I ordered the aluminum Tuesday night, so once it gets here, time to start turning it on the lathe.

As far as using the 250F header, if it fits I might give it a try, that is the beauty of a project like this, try it out and see, if it doesnt work, use the stock header or make a slightly larger than stock one.

Well I had a chance to get some work done on it today. This project is far from being finished, but these are some pics of what i was able to rough in today on the lathe.

t-233588489.jpg t-233588508.jpg t-233588493.jpg t-233588497.jpg

Right now I would guess 3 or 4 pounds. There is alot more I could shave off of the inisde portion of the end caps. Yesterday I simply shaved them down to the right size.

That's looking real good. I wish I had some nice tools to make my 200 a new pipe, but I don't use the 200 much any more so it would be a waist of time. Send more picks when finished and is on the bike.

Well, I have the core made, I still have to drill and tap the holes for the mounting of the endcaps, I have the mount drawn out on the chunk of aluminum I am going to use, just have to mill it out. I am going to have to get another chunk of aluminum and turn it on the lathe and it will be a press fit in the endcap to hold the S/A screen in place. After that its just get some pipe and make it fit to the header.

Well, then would buying a Big Gun exhaust for a yz250f be worth a shot. It would take a little fab work too, but would be better than a crf150 exhaust wouldn't it???

Bigger pipes flow more air, good for top end, horsepower. Smaller pipes limit horsepower (but probably not on most stockers) but maximize torque, what gets you off the line. 200's have minimal torque for a full size bike, so losing torque on that would be more obvious than off a 400+cc bike. Might get real soft on the bottom. Most pipe changes have small effect on measurable hp, what they usually do is move the powerband around. Make it rev out a bit better on top (it FEELS faster) BUT lose a little on the bottom, starting off, pulling wheelies, climbing slow hills, things that most spend quite a bit of time doing.