Sign in to follow this  

Good girl

Hey everyone. I completely framed my 05 today and had a chance to really inspect all the components. I bought the bike in Sept of 04 and have been progressing quite a bit on it. New England will really take its toll on a motocrosser. I do most of my riding in sand and rocks. I take very good care of the machine but after 2 1/2 seasons of abuse she's looking pretty tired. It's time for new plastics and drivetrain. I'll service the forks and check the valves. I'll put new valve seals and springs, re-ring the piston with a fresh hone. I'll put a new throttle tube on with a new set of grips. I think it's time for some IMS pegs too. The subframe is tweaked but I'll get it straight. Let me tell you though-

You really can't beat the quality and reliability of the Honda. Obviously I am not able to get a new bike every year so I need stuff to last. The bearings and fasteners were all in greatshape. The electrical connections were all clean and tight. Nothing bent or rounded. The dust seals are still doing a good job as well. I really feel that Honda makes a bike that is really easy to maintain and keep feeling fresh. I have never considered myself "brand loyal" but when I do feel that she needs to retire it will be hard for me to walk away from the Honda.:censored:

you stated that you were only going to re-ring the piston, I would spend the extra few dollars and put in a new one. b/c on these 4 strokes the skirts are short and once they wear you get piston slap against the cylinder and then when the slap gets to violent you get piston failure. Piston/rings should be replaced every 80 hours ish.

And I do agree with the reliability, my bike has never let me down, besides basic maintenance. But I do also think that all of the major brands (CRF/KXF/YZF/SX-F/RM-Z) are very reliable with proper maintenance.

Hey everyone. I completely framed my 05 today and had a chance to really inspect all the components. I bought the bike in Sept of 04 and have been progressing quite a bit on it. New England will really take its toll on a motocrosser. I do most of my riding in sand and rocks. I take very good care of the machine but after 2 1/2 seasons of abuse she's looking pretty tired. It's time for new plastics and drivetrain. I'll service the forks and check the valves. I'll put new valve seals and springs, re-ring the piston with a fresh hone. I'll put a new throttle tube on with a new set of grips. I think it's time for some IMS pegs too. The subframe is tweaked but I'll get it straight. Let me tell you though-

You really can't beat the quality and reliability of the Honda. Obviously I am not able to get a new bike every year so I need stuff to last. The bearings and fasteners were all in greatshape. The electrical connections were all clean and tight. Nothing bent or rounded. The dust seals are still doing a good job as well. I really feel that Honda makes a bike that is really easy to maintain and keep feeling fresh. I have never considered myself "brand loyal" but when I do feel that she needs to retire it will be hard for me to walk away from the Honda.:censored:

youre tellin me! new tracks are hardcore! i think they're the most fun out there, however...waht tracks do ya ride? i suppose rocky hill....

bryamberm2.jpg

thats my boyfriend, he rides there about 4 times a week in the summer, i bet you've seen him.

sorry for hijacking the thread...

and in response to the thread...ITS A HONDA! :ride:

you stated that you were only going to re-ring the piston, I would spend the extra few dollars and put in a new one. b/c on these 4 strokes the skirts are short and once they wear you get piston slap against the cylinder and then when the slap gets to violent you get piston failure

I definately hear you. Our moderator was gracious enough to hook a fellow statesman up with a set of JE rings and I am going to look very closely at the piston (ring holder) and also make some measurements.

youre tellin me! new tracks are hardcore! i think they're the most fun out there, however...waht tracks do ya ride? i suppose rocky hill....

:

Rocky Hill is fun. The majority of my weekly riding is done at ungroomed local spots where the local guys practice. These are the spots that taught me to ride. Not many jumps...... just whoops, marbles sand and fear.:censored:

Lol that guy is wearing a jumper, must be cold out there. Where i race, Northern Territory, Australia (its the top part of Australia!) The last thing you need is a jumper, you already sweat out like 10kg(exageration) of H2o wearing jersey and pants in a race lol

Lol that guy is wearing a jumper, must be cold out there. Where i race, Northern Territory, Australia (its the top part of Australia!) The last thing you need is a jumper, you already sweat out like 10kg(exageration) of H2o wearing jersey and pants in a race lol

Even in the winter here in Ireland if I wear a jacket or jumper after two laps I'm roasting:ride:

Sounds like you'll have a new bike.

The IMS pegs are nice. I've used them on my last 3 bikes. If you need the mounts that move them back and lower let me know.

Sounds like you'll have a new bike.

The IMS pegs are nice. I've used them on my last 3 bikes. If you need the mounts that move them back and lower let me know.

Thanks. I just got tired of the fastways wearing down on me. I know from reading here that you are a fan of the IMS and if they take the abuse you give them I will certainly give them a try. I am hoping the IMS pegs will last longer. Are they a bit wider than stock? I mount my pegs in the standard position. Are the IMS a standard height?:censored:

The IMS are wider than stock with alligator teeth. The pegs are the same height but they sell the optional peg mount which places them lower and back. I forget the exact dimensions.

I have never considered myself "brand loyal" but when I do feel that she needs to retire it will be hard for me to walk away from the Honda.:ride:

Stick w/ what you know works and what you know how to work on I say. :censored:

Yamahas are nice but my biggest draw to the Honda besides quality is the Unicam with the dual sumps. No external oil tank. The motor is rock solid and easy to work on.

I opened it up today to check the piston and valves.

I am really impressed with this JE after a full season of abuse. The rings are still in spec and there is no wear on the skirts at all. No blow-by. The top of the piston was barely dirty. A little carb cleaner shined it up like new.

I honed the cylinder and I'll be installing fresh rings that TJ hooked me up with and she will be good to go. I just couldn't get over the condition of this top end after I spanked it all year:busted: .

Some valve seals and springs and a new cam chain to replace the 2 1/2 year old one. Valves still in spec and ports hold solvent w/out a drop lost. If you keep up with it and you don't mind breaking it down any average joe like myself can get a lot of use from this machine without breaking the bank.