Sign in to follow this  

Shift lever stripped.

Has anyone welded a metal shift lever onto the gear shift shaft? The reason I ask is my splines are worn down on the shaft and the gear shift lever will not properly tighten down.I've tried a new lever but it doesn't last long. Approx. $250.00 to replace the shaft, parts and labor. So why not just weld one on.? Wrap the shaft seal with a wet cloth or run water over the seal while welding. Thanks in advance........

Steve....

If seen it done before... it works but its not pretty. What kind of bike is this?

we did it in Baja once, had to, finished the ride. it worked, what do you have to lose.

You can, but itll be a b**** when it comes time to replace any bearings or anything that will require shaft removal.

99 yz 125,

The shifter on that bike should be aluminum.. shaft is steel. If thats the case you can forget about welding it.

The shifter on that bike should be aluminum.. shaft is steel. If thats the case you can forget about welding it.

JB Weld?

JB Weld?

afro-engineering :censored:

Why not pull the shaft out and take it to a machine shop and have them cut some splines in it again. Then take your shift lever and cut out more of the pinch area so it'll tighten on the shaft again after it re cut. Or I'm sure a machine shop could build up the shaft before cut'n in new splines to get it back to spec.

Dude just buy a new shaft and install it yourself. You don't even have to split the cases. Just remove the clutch cover, remove the detent spring, and pull the old shaft out. New one slides right in. The price is only $34 for the shaft through BikeBandit.

Dude just buy a new shaft and install it yourself. You don't even have to split the cases. Just remove the clutch cover, remove the detent spring, and pull the old shaft out. New one slides right in. The price is only $34 for the shaft through BikeBandit.

:censored::ride::lol:

The price is only $34 for the shaft through BikeBandit.

34 Bux! That's a no brainer,,,,BUY A NEW DAMN SHIFTER SHAFT!!!!!:censored:

Has anyone welded a metal shift lever onto the gear shift shaft? The reason I ask is my splines are worn down on the shaft and the gear shift lever will not properly tighten down.I've tried a new lever but it doesn't last long. Approx. $250.00 to replace the shaft, parts and labor. So why not just weld one on.? Wrap the shaft seal with a wet cloth or run water over the seal while welding. Thanks in advance........

Steve....

I've made a quick repair on mine before, so that I could ride until a new shaft arrived. I just took a center punch and patiently dimpled the shaft all along each old spline, which raises the metal enough to get a good bite on the lever. The new shaft sat in my tool box until winter. :censored:

The shaft is all ready bad and you don't feel like replacing it zap it with the welder. Not alot of weld, make it just enough so you can grind it off easy when you put the new shaft in.

The shaft is all ready bad and you don't feel like replacing it zap it with the welder. Not alot of weld, make it just enough so you can grind it off easy when you put the new shaft in.

But like someone else said if he's running an Alum shifter he can't weld it anyway.

What about this though. If he's running a steel shifter then welds the shifter onto the shaft making it one solid unit. He crashes, now he runs the possibility of buying a shifter, a shaft, and now he's search'n E-bay for a left case?

Plus all the extras along with replacing the case. I can see if he was in a pinch but just for pleasure riding spend the damn 34 bux and do it right!

But then again the world needs parts bikes so go ahead a weld away.:censored:

I'd get a new shaft but, is there a rule against using a steel shifter on a YZ? Just wondering.

Why will welding it make it more likely to break the case. A properly tightend shifter won't give in a crash.

A properly tightend shifter won't give in a crash.

That is exactly WHY you don't want to weld a steel shifter to the shaft. It has no give to it and will break the case. All the force from the impact will be transferred to the case, which is not designed to take that. Ergo, the case is gonna break. If the shifter bends, the force is reduced and it is less likely to break the case.