Vapor sensor installation, w/pics

A few threads back I included a few pictures of my custom Vapor mount for my KLX400R (DRZ400E). This thread continues with the installation of the sensors. If you’ve already got a Vapor, you don’t need this, as you’ve already done it. However, if you’re looking to get one, maybe this will help you visualize what you are going to need to do to get it working. These pictures and text pick up after the Vapor was mounted on my bars. I apologize for the monster pictures - still haven't learned how to get them to a better size. :ride:

undersideview.jpg

There are four leads coming out the bottom of the Vapor. These are 1) Power/Ground, 2) Speed, 3) Tachometer, and 4) Temperature. To install these you will have to remove several items: the brake caliper temporarily; the radiator shrouds and fuel tank, and the seat. I guess you could get some of the sensors installed without removing the tank and seat, but it will be a LOT easier if you bite the bullet and get them out of your way.:applause:

Power/Ground – red/black strip wire. According to the Trail Tech Vapor instructions, these need to be run to a constant source of power, not switched (and they say it doesn’t make any difference which wire goes to power and which to ground, but I stayed with conventional practice and ran the red to (+)power and the black to (-)ground). You can pick up power at the ignition switch connector behind the headlight by using a quick connector on the red lead BEFORE it gets to the ignition switch. The orange lead in this connector is hot only when the ignition switch is ON, and isn’t used as a power source for the Vapor. The black ground wire can be spliced into any black w/white stripe wire in the existing wiring loom. I did not use either of these possible connections because I was also doing a dual sport conversion and had already run dedicated power and ground wires from the battery. I tied into those. I protected the wires in a white plastic spiral loom. Hopefull, the red text and such will show up on the picture. I've circled the four connectors coming out of the Vapor.

frontwiringlayout.jpg

Speed sensor – consists of magnetic bolt that replaces one of the front wheel disk bolts and a pickup that very neatly fits into a slot-type opening on the top surface of the brake caliper/brake mount interface. This fits so neatly you’d think Suzuki and Trail Tech got together in its design. Trail Tech did their homework here. The instructions say you might have to cut the plastic ring supports for the brake line in order to insert the sensor wire running up to the Vapor, but if you feed the free end of the speed sensor (the end that plugs into the Vapor) UP through the rings there’s absolutely no need to cut anything. You do have to remove the brake caliper in order to drill a 1/8” hole to mount the speed sensor. Before removing the caliper I made a mark on it in line with the right end of the sensor. That way I’d know where to hold the sensor on the caliper as I marked the location of the mounting hole. Drill the hole all the way through the caliper – it’s not near anything critical so you’re not going to hurt anything. The self-tapping screw was tough to get in. Trail Tech included a couple extra and I used one to get the hole threaded about halfway, then switched to another for the final fixing. I was afraid I was going to strip out the Phillips head on the first one – that’s why I went to a new one for the final tightening. You may be braver than I.:applause: I should have taken a picture of the caliper/sensor/hole when I had the chance, but didn’t think of it at the time.:lol:

The magnetic bolt.

magneticbolt.jpg

And, the sensor pickup, circled in red. The screw that holds it on is centered on the sensor and is just out of sight in this picture. The armored wire from this sensor to the Vapor runs up alongside the brake line and is zip-tied to it in several places. At the top it arches over alongside the brake line before connecting with the Vapor. Tying it to the brake line lets it be unaffected by suspension action.

speedsensor2.jpg

Tachometer sensor – this is nothing more than another red/black strip wire. You pull the red and black apart and run the black to the same ground you used for the Power/Ground hookup. Or, any other black w/white stripe wire - whichever is more available. Again, I used the dedicated ground wire I had run from the battery for my DS conversion. I ran the red wire alongside the chassis wiring loom on the left side of the backbone under the fuel tank (inside a spiral wire protector). The red wire was run back until I got to the spark plug wire coming out of the coil, where it was then wrapped around the plug wire “about” 10 times (“about” is Trail Tech’s description). I stayed high on the plug wire so the sensor pickup wouldn’t be abused when I have to pull the plug.

tachsensorplugwirewraps.jpg

I then wrapped electrical tape around the pickup wire to keep it in place and cut off the excess wire.

tachsensorwithtape.jpg

Temperature sensor – this is a dedicated wire that appears to be a mini-armored cable with a larger connector on the Vapor end and a nicely made plastic insert for the radiator hose on the other end. The wire actually connects to a temp sensor that is threaded into the hose connector. Several posts on this forum allude to removing the sensor from the connector (or calling Trail Tech for another sensor) and using it in place of the airbleed screw on top of the left radiator. To me, it didn’t look like it would fit in place of the airbleed screw, and I didn’t want to call and request the alternate sensor that would fit. Besides, that’s an awfully small screw which translates to a weak link in my mind. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with cutting the radiator hose and inserting the connector as designed by Trail Tech, so that’s what I did. Worked well for me. It requires cutting about ¾” out of the radiator hose. I picked the engine outlet hose going to the left radiator since I wanted to measure coolant temp as it exited the engine – besides, it was the easiest to get to.

cutradhosewithsensor.jpg

The clamps are actually under the outer hose protector, so only the adjustment heads show up. I cut notches out of the outer hose to make room for the clamp heads.

tempsensorinstalled.jpg

I’m a little anal when it comes to protecting electrical wires, so I used plastic loom protectors on everything. Added a few ounces to the bike’s weight but it works for me.:censored:

Hope this helps someone.

Yeah, I know I still need to get Unibikers or something...

I do have my case protectors on and am going to mount my MCCT next.

And, all my DS stuff is working.

ron

• Like 6

Thanks for helping to ease what's usually a wiring headache. You went into detail which is good, I think! I'm keeping the stock speedo till it goes out though, but we'll see.

Thanks for taking the time to document...it helps to see other methods and ideas...

Very nice install... great detail... how did you deal with the odo reading? can you program in the mileage from the OEM speedo? how is it to see the unit? very visible?

Nice work with the tubing and protection...

more pics from your point of view when in riding position...

Very nice install... great detail... how did you deal with the odo reading? can you program in the mileage from the OEM speedo? how is it to see the unit? very visible?

Nice work with the tubing and protection...

more pics from your point of view when in riding position...

Thanks.

I haven't found anything in the Vapor manual that indicates you can set the odometer. In fact, it says that the odometer is not resettable, and neither is the total ride time. I'm still looking to see if the initial setting can be other than "0" since I seem to remember someone on the forum thought it could be set. No luck yet though. So, I guess the answer to your question looks like negative on setting it to OEM odo. Hopefully the right person can chime in and enlighten both of us.

The Vapor is very visible when riding, but I'm sure that visibility would rapidly drop if you were dodging trees and/or rocks. :applause: I haven't seen the warning lights come on yet while riding, but I don't think they are going to show up well. Again, the trees/rocks thing... If you were casually riding down the street, then yes, I think they would be useable. Still, I like having them - I've always liked instrumentation that told me what was going on. The bar graph tachometer is very useable since it shows up on both main screens and a quick glance lets you know about where your revs are. I think it's going to be good. I've got old eyes and can still see all the numbers and such, even the little temperature readout.

All in all, I'm real stoked on it.:applause:

• Like 1

Oh heck Red - been waiting for you to post this, but went ahead with my hook up on the weekend anyway. Now I have to do it all again so I get mine as neat as yours :cry: :cry:

I didn't even think of wire protectors - now I've got all these tiny red and black wires running all over the place (I ran my power all the way back to the battery) :eek: AND I wound the tach wire as close to the plug as I could - why? - don't ask me :applause:

I had major problems with the speedo sensor as I'm running motard wheels with aftermarket caliper mount to accommodate the bigger rotor. Absolutely nowhere to mount the sensor and the magnetic bolt went no where near the caliper anyway. So I ended up grinding off the plastic tab where the screw hole was and clamping it with a large hose clamp to the lower fork leg at the correct height for the magnetic bolt to pass under - worked ok, but now I have to get some fork guards to hide the ugly hose clamp :lol:

Good work with yours - I'll tidy mine up this weekend :applause:

thanks for the excellent writeup. this forum is what it is cause guys like you take the time to document everything well :applause:

i'm lookin to purchase a vapor asap, but wondering what colour the backlight lights up, and how visible it is in the dark. anyone got any pics???

I just got a Vapor and a Vapor Indicator Dashboard.

I'm installing it now and I have a few questions. I e-mailed Geoff at TrailTech for the Vapor specific one.

What do you do with the stock speedo gear on the axle? I pulled the cable but there's a hole there. Can I just take the wheel off and pull the gear? Silicone the hole shut?

The pics in this thread helped a lot with the magnet and speedo pickup sensor.

I'll post pics when I'm done but I already test fit everything and tested the pickups and it works great. I think TrailTech will be selling a lot of these Dashboards if I get the wiring sorted out.

Hi Bobby,

That dashboard is nice, hadn't seen that before. I'll be gettin' a vapor when my stock speedo dies.

I think the RTV silicone would be fine. I know also you can get another wheel spacer to use in place of the actual speedo gearbox but I'm not sure if it's the same size as the other side.

Antt, just got mine, it's a light blue backlight. Pretty cool.

I used RTV silicone for the speedo hole and took out the clutch wire and filled that hole with RTV too.

I'm waiting for an e-mail from Geoff about the dashboard lights so I kept the stock one until I find out if I have to chop into the wiring or if there's a tail for the connector. I forgot to mention that the dashboard also comes with the L shaped bracket so you can use the stock mounting point to mount the Vapor.

Here's the install so far.

Vapor.jpg

You should have received this mating connector:

wire_harness.jpg

For pluging the hole in the stock odometer drive, you should have had these plugs in the kit:

odo_drive_plug.jpg

Here is the wire diagram:

7000-PD-Assy.gif

Thankyou for pix BobbyC, just got my vapor and was trying to figure out what to do with stock indicator lights, wasn't aware of new dashboard...guess TT store wasn't either or they probably would have recommended it. Looks real nice...