Sign in to follow this  

lower shock hiem joint (bearing) on a KTM

After removing my rear wheel to change my tire, I grabbed a hold of the swing arm to check the condition of the bearings. I found the lower shock hiem bearing wasted. I orderd a new one today and was wondering if anybody knows any tricks or pullers that will safely remove and install the lower hiem bearing on ktm's. It is an "04" 200 sx. I know this is thumpertalk, but the bearings are the same. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

As far as removal, you can take a socket that's the size of the eyelet the bearing goes into (i.e. larger than the OD of the bearing), then take a long bolt, and a flat washer the same size as the bearing and assemble it so when you tighten the bolt it pulls the flat washer against the bearing, through the shock, and into the socket. I know it's hard to picture but it works for me.

As for installation, I threw my bearings in the freezer overnight then heated the eyelets with a blowtorch, and then used a vice to press the bearing into the shock. Went real smooth.

There is a hiem joint in the swing arm on KTM's for the bottom shock mount. The problem is getting the hiem joint out of the swing arm. I realize there is a hiem on the top of the shock but on KTM's there is one used in the swing arm for the lower mount, and thats the one I'm having problems with. Thanks.

There is a hiem joint in the swing arm on KTM's for the bottom shock mount. The problem is getting the hiem joint out of the swing arm. I realize there is a hiem on the top of the shock but on KTM's there is one used in the swing arm for the lower mount, and thats the one I'm having problems with. Thanks.

E rider makes a tool.

http://www.erider.ws/case_n_misc.htm#heim

This is a good alternative to the oem bearing

http://www.synergyseals.com/index.php?page=fbushing