Sign in to follow this  

Running hi beam @ day time = pro vs. con?

I recently started running with the high beam during daytime. No other reason but to be seen more. Outside the early expiration of my highs, is there any other down side?

Thanks!

I ride 40+hrs per week on the street...(motor officer). I always burn my high beam during the day, with the fog lights as well on the Beemer. Really bright. I tend to be hyper-vigilant when it comes to traffic though. I can't tell you if using the high beam has helped any or not, but it makes me feel better!! If I ever got in an accident, I wont wonder to myself "I wonder if they would have seen me if I had more light!" Remember, right or wrong, you're still dead!

On the DRZ I run the hi beam just because the bike let's face it has no lighting to it.

On a bike such as my SV then I don't run the high beams as it is lit up damn near as well as a car just on low beam.

I recently started running with the high beam during daytime. No other reason but to be seen more. Outside the early expiration of my highs, is there any other down side?

Thanks!

Do it:thumbsup: I use the high beams and constantly switch between when approaching intersections and when cars are pulling in from side streets.

Like the motor officer said, you have to be vigilant ALL of the time:eek:

When I rode on the street, I always kept my highbeams on during the day. I used to get some complaints at red lights about it. I just used to reply " I guess you saw me then" I would also tell all my friends to ride with the highs on also, especially the bikes with two headlights, because from a shallow angle you cannot see the one headlight. Also when riding in heavy traffic, especially on multiple lane roads, and highways, weave around. A moving light in cage drivers mirrors will grab their attention and let them know you are there, and hopefully avoid somebody changing lanes right into you. High beams on, moving around, and bright clothing, even a safty vest will all help to keep you safer. Adopt my old saying about daytime highbeam usage, "If you blind them with your light, then they saw you"

Pro: Better visibility...

Con: Pissed off drivers...

I say F' em, I run mine during the day...

:censored:

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Riders Course instructor I had recommended riding w/high beams ON! I try to follow his advice for every road ride.

I just don't see how in the hell you could piss anybody off with that POS DRZ headlight no matter what replacement bulb you stick in there.

Also for whomever said they flash their lights at intersections, IMO that is a very bad idea unless you want to get plowed in to.

I agree w/ Mr. Black, if you flash your lights at an intersection, someone might believe your giving the OK to proceed in front of you.

I agree w/ Mr. Black, if you flash your lights at an intersection, someone might believe your giving the OK to proceed in front of you.

Read what was quoted - approaching intersections, not stopped at an intersection. If one was stopped at an intersection(stop sign) with on coming traffic, flashing may be misconstrued as go ahead and proceed.

Now approaching a traffic light at an intersection with no green turn arrow for on coming traffic, traveling 35 mph, I flash the lights all the time. It has stopped many cars from turning in front of me. Well tested approach in S. Florida traffic where NO one obeys any traffic laws.

Where I come from people do flash their lights when still rolling, it 100% means go ahead and pull out.

Where I come from people do flash their lights when still rolling, it 100% means go ahead and pull out.

Your lucky - It appears that there is still some type of meaningful communication between drivers. I currently drive in Atlanta and its mayhem. The volume of cars on the road is out control.

Pros:

Cagers can see you better

Cagers can see you from a farther distance

When the filament burns out, you can still ride at night with your low beam

Cons:

Cagers 'might' get upset at your light in their eyes, but do they get pissed off at the sun? When I get flashed, which is rare, I just take comfort in knowing that they definitely know I'm there.

Thanks!

I only switch to my lows' at night!

P.S. Nice avatar!

Pro: Better visibility...

Con: Pissed off drivers...

I say F' em, I run mine during the day...

Yeah they'll be pissed, but at least they saw you.:censored:

I don't run the hi-beam all the time. Only when I am lane sharing or there is cross traffic.

I don't have a choice, I have the Acerobics Blitz, with 2 50 watters. I do worry i will blind a driver who may run into me or off the road, they are bright, but i only ride road between trails, so F(&^ um.

OT:ride:

I ride with my high beams on all of the time. Even at night the DRZ lamp doesn't seem angled high enough to get right in peoples eyes. On my other bikes I've been flashed during the night with high beams on. After months on the DRZ it hasn't happened once. The DRZ lamp sucks. You can't see 10 feet in front of you at night with low beams.

Is there a way to mod it so that both High and Low are used on High and only High is used on Low? If there was a way to do this, would it overheat or fry something?