Sign in to follow this  

'05 SM wheels on a '03 DRZ/KLX400 (What else do I need?)

I'm thinking of putting '05 SM wheels on my '03 KLX400. What else do I need to make this work. Do I need a different front caliper? (Note: I want the OEM speedo to work.)

You will have to use both of your klx rotors and spacers, also there is no way to re calibrate your speedo so your speed and odo will be off unless you buy a SM speedo drive piece for your hub. You also can pick up a 320 mm front rotor kit from motomaster, which will have a caliper relocator to run a aftermarket front rotor......

I'm thinking of putting '05 SM wheels on my '03 KLX400. What else do I need to make this work. Do I need a different front caliper? (Note: I want the OEM speedo to work.)

If you plan to swap back to 21/18 very often, then you might want to use stock size rotors front & back. The SM has bigger rotors front & back. Everything else should match up the same. I also use the speedo gearbox from an SM. It keeps the 17's in check, & the 21 is just 1mph over actual speed. I'm also going to buy an SM chain guide (the one that sits on top of the swing arm, next to the front sprocket). It helps keep the chain from rubbing your tire. :censored:

So my spacers will work fine then? What is the going rate for a pair of Suzuki SM wheels? (I know what aftermarket wheels cost.)

So my spacers will work fine then? What is the going rate for a pair of Suzuki SM wheels? (I know what aftermarket wheels cost.)

I'd say somewhere between 750 and a 1,000 depending on what all is included. [Rotors, sprocket, decent tires.]

Some people have gotten lucky and found them for less though.

will the 17x4.5" rears from a new drz sm fit on a 2002 drz400e?

Yep theyll bolt right up

SM Speedo drive can be ordered from TT OEM store, that's where I got mine. I strongly recomment staying with stock size rotors and calipers, makes changeover easier.