Sign in to follow this  

Hot cams install / assembly lube?

Engine assembly lube is reccomended however not needed if you can't spare the $5. just be sure to dump oil in the cam area before you put the valve cover on.

It's cheap, just get it. Any auto parts store carries it.

Oil isn't sufficent enough. You need a really thick oil. This is where assembly lube comes in. It's like grease almost.

Thanks for the info. I had read on the thumperfaq.com that some assembly lubes may effect the clutch. Anyone had any problems with this? Thanks

Thanks for the info. I had read on the thumperfaq.com that some assembly lubes may effect the clutch. Anyone had any problems with this? Thanks

Just make sure the assembly lube doesn't have moly or graphite in it...either will cause clutch slippage. AutoZone sells some moly/graphite free assembly lube. STP works good, too.

oil will work fine if you gonna be starting it shortly after assembly. The reason for assembly lube is for engines that are assembled and not started or oil-primed for some time after assembly.

The assembly lube is to protect everything during a dry start-up. It's probably worth using it.

Its not dry if the oil was just put there. Thats how i was taught to do it by someone that was a nascar engine builder and is still a certified nascar race tech. He said the assembly lube stays there and is good if your assembling a motor and not starting it right away, but that if your starting it right away its no different to use straight oil.

I bought an assembly lube with moly-graphite in it, installed cams already. I havent started the bike yet, but will the moly-graphite affect the clutch if I just ride the bike for about 30 mins to break it in and then change the oil? I read the responses to my post after install. Thanks

I bought an assembly lube with moly-graphite in it, installed cams already. I havent started the bike yet, but will the moly-graphite affect the clutch if I just ride the bike for about 30 mins to break it in and then change the oil? I read the responses to my post after install. Thanks

From everything I've read, YES. Both hot cams and Yamaha recommend against using assembly lube with moly or graphite in 'em, as does Eric Gorr and every article I've ever read in Dirt Bike, Dirt Rider, Racer X, etc. The non-moly/graphite lube is only about 4 bucks a tube. A heck of a lot cheaper than a new set of clutch plates!

I finally found a moly and graphite free assembly lube. I pulled the cams, and lifter buckets out fully cleaned and re-assembled. Worked perfect. No clutch slippage.

From everything I've read, YES. Both hot cams and Yamaha recommend against using assembly lube with moly or graphite in 'em, as does Eric Gorr and every article I've ever read in Dirt Bike, Dirt Rider, Racer X, etc. The non-moly/graphite lube is only about 4 bucks a tube. A heck of a lot cheaper than a new set of clutch plates!

I am having a hard time finding an assembly lube that says it does not have moly or graphite. Clevite Engine Parts - Cam Guard is the only one I can find that does not have graphite listed. Anyone have a brand that hey are using

Thanks

Dan