Sign in to follow this  

which bike should I use for first race?

I have a 2001 YZ426 that I have been riding for a year now but also just got a 99 rm250. I want to win a 250 beginner race. I like the power of the 426 but the weight is a little much and the handling isn't great. I haven't thoroughly ran the rm 250 but it seems to be known for good handling.

I was also thinking of selling some bikes to get a newer 450. I would like to keep one green sticker bike for off road but am also consdering selling my 99 CBR600F4 if I need to. Here is what I have in the garage so what would you do if your were in my situation?

01 YZ426

99 rm250

99 CBR600F4

1974 CB200

I have a 2001 YZ426 that I have been riding for a year now but also just got a 99 rm250. I want to win a 250 beginner race. I like the power of the 426 but the weight is a little much and the handling isn't great. I haven't thoroughly ran the rm 250 but it seems to be known for good handling.

I was also thinking of selling some bikes to get a newer 450. I would like to keep one green sticker bike for off road but am also consdering selling my 99 CBR600F4 if I need to. Here is what I have in the garage so what would you do if your were in my situation?

01 YZ426

99 rm250

99 CBR600F4

1974 CB200

i would sale everything but 1974 cb200 and get a husqvarna TC 450 (green sticker)

They are both pretty heavy but I would decide on what I trust the most. The 426 is a heavey hog. But also has a nice amount of power. Then there's the 250 smoker that's lighter but doesn't have that hit like the 4-stroke. Of you sell an off-road bike. Sell the 426. The carb floods so easily on it and if you want a trail bike you don't want a big heavy beast going through the trails. Plus you can't clutch a 4-stroke when getting in tight situations like a 2-stroke. I'm no Suzuki fan but the RM250 is probly the best choice for the trails. It's slender and they lug. So you can clutch it and get in the low RPM's without it going. KAPUTTT! like a 4-stroke. But that's just my 2-cents.

You want to win a beginner race. Do you really think it matters which bike you're on? The 426 or the RM? The beginner class is for getting your feet wet. In my district you're not even supposed to be jumping if you're in the true beginner class ("D"). Just ride what you're most comfortable on. Never use a race to try something new (except jumps....I've done several jumps for the first time in the heat of a race). The other consideration is starting your bike. If you fall on the 426 how comforable are you that you can get it re-fired quickly? I'd lean towards the RM if you're comfortable riding it. If you want to be first, you're going to be SOL if you fall in the first turn and have to kick your bike for five minutes. The RM, just pull the clutch in, kick it, dump the clutch and go!

Ahhh...new bikes. Who doesn't like a new bike? Are you in an age class (ie. Vet, +25, Sr)? If so, then I suppose a 450 may be a decent option for you, but frankly it doesn't sound like you're experienced enough to really need it unless you're a huge guy that needs the extra power to haul you around. Even Jeremy McGrath admits that he doesn't use all the power of a stock 450. I'd at least give the 250F's a look before you drop the cash.

If you can, buy a new bike! Whether it's a two-stroke, a 250F or a 450F. You could probably sell both the RM and the YZF and end up with a good chunk of change (prolly $3500 give or take a few hundred bucks) to put towards a nice shiny new bike. Just ride both bikes you have now and try to decide if you're a two-smoke guy or a four-stroke guy.

Good luck and let us know how you make out! :applause:

I've won a few 250 beginner races on my crf 250. I don't think the bike is really that important in this class. Just ride what you fell the most comfortable on and try not to crash. Good starts and not crashing is the most important thing in the beginner class. Good Luck

I just did my first race as 450 beginner on my WR426 and i was so surprised when i got second. Cant wait to get a new bike that turns.