Sign in to follow this  

Quad question

A co-worker of mine is debating getting a new Quad. It has come down to either the Yamaha Grizzly, or the Kawasaki Brute Force (either the 650 or 750)

I'm more of a MX guy, so I'm not as up to speed on Quads.....but I think Yamaha has the edge on reliability, and the Grizzly has Fuel Injection, and I believe power steering, while the Brute Force runs a Carb., and doesn't have power steering.

Anybody experienced with Quads, as to which is the better model to go with??

It's going to be used for mainly Trail riding, with occasional light use as a Utility vehicle.

Any help appreciated.

I would tell him to get a bike for trail riding .. and a Mule or a Rhyno for doing work. :censored:

actually.. a Mule/Rhyno can be alot of fun offroad too.

Some states won't allow ORV's over 50 in wide on trials.

I'd go for the Yamaha. Quads can be allot fo fun too. I have a pair of Polaris's which are a blast in the winter and work great for trial maintainance activities.

I'll be out in the snow today

i work at a suzuki,yamaha,kawasaki,polaris dealer and think the suzuki kingquad is a great machine,its fuel injected,no powersteering crap to go wrong and reliable as hell.the brute force is also a great machine just not fuel injection so dont let the carbs go green:thumbsup: .

How f'n lazy do you have to be to need power steering on a QUAD where there is already hardly any resistance?!? I saw those Brute Forces at my buddy's house (he has two of the 750's) when we went trail riding and they look great, didn't get to ride one though.

Thanks for the replies, but my buddy is going with either of these models; but definately nothing else....his heart is set on either one.

I think either would be fine, and he has briefly ridden the Grizzly....but he can't make a decision. My Brother in law, just purchased a Brute Force, but it's barely been ridden more than several miles, so the jury is out as to how it's durability will be.

He seems to be leaning toward the Grizzly, even though it's more money. Anybody ridden both models???

i ride all of them quite regularly i would go with the brute force over the yamaha.i dont like fi,or power steering on quads,its just more to go wrong on the trail.the yamaha drives like a small car,its not even fun.like i said go with the brute force!:censored:

The trend in utility quads is toward huge overweight big bore machines, all of which are a mistake for a trail riders IMO.

I just got a new Honda Rancher 420, and after riding it I can't see myself on any other utility for the trail.

I have the 2006 Yamaha Kodiak 450 with Dif Lock and it goes anywhere my Buddies Grizzly goes and then some. Top speed differs by about 8 mph on the street but the flexibility and nimbleness in the woods makes the Kodiak a faster machine. You need to decide if you are going to trail ride or work on the farm. I am a huge advocate of Yamaha only because I have had no issues with any I have owned but I have another friend with the Kawi and it is just as reliable. In the Utility quad world you need to really look at what you are going to use it for the most. If it is a wrok horse around the house then bigger may be better but if you really want to ride it under very technical trails and hill climbs go with a more compact and maneuverable machine. Be sure to get a new set of ITP, 1" lug tires too as they will get any machine thorugh any condition even if it is 24" of snow......What a Blast.