Sign in to follow this  

Fork sub tanks

Anyone running fork sub tanks? Enzo or Aircell

http://www.aircellracing.com/

I found some old posts from a few years ago but not much detail.

What exactly are they providing? I think they're acting as a additional volume for air compression with a metering valve to control the compression rate.

If that is wrong could someone set me straight?

Also, My YZ is primarily for offroad racing but I like to MX for practice. Could sub tanks be an alternative to revalving between the two riding styles? From a weight perspective the spring rates are correct.

Thanks.

I dont know how well subtanks work on the new style yz forks. They were great on my 97. I really liked having them. Think of them as a way to alter the oil volume in the forks..without touching the oil volume. It was the perfect set-up for trail riding one week, and track riding the next.

Still, the 06 forks worked so much better, I never bothered adding them back in.

I have a set of FVO sub-tanks that I experimented with on my 07 YZ 250. They do work nice for the woods if you have stock valving. However, I don't reccommend them if you plan on revalving in the future. YZ forks are pretty good right from the factory, a revalve makes them perfect. Sub-tanks are over priced. Hey, I will sell you mine though pretty cheap!

Mark

Trash - It sound like the subs are a alternative though not as good as a revalve. Is that correct?

If so and I can keep the stock valving it sounds like the way to go.

If you serious about selling yours, PM me with what your asking for them.

Thanks

Anyone running fork sub tanks? Enzo or Aircell

http://www.aircellracing.com/Also, My YZ is primarily for offroad racing but I like to MX for practice. Could sub tanks be an alternative to revalving between the two riding styles? From a weight perspective the spring rates are correct. Thanks.

From the discussions I've had w/Ross at ENZO, the '06-'07's don't benefit greatly from subtanks. I would tend to believe him as he is in the business to sell products/services.

Anyways, if you're riding offroad and mx a good compromise my be the Factory Connection GNCC valving. I'm considering this route for my '07 as I plan to do a bit of both if the ice ever melts. I had a chance to ride a friends (AA HS guy) '06 with the FC setup and it was very plush, yet worked well on the mx track. A little plusher than I'm used to, but at 41 I'm steering clear of SX style terrain and tracks anyways. I also read that Ty Davis has a very good setup through Race Tech that works pretty well for both types of riding.

I will post a ride report when/if I get it done.

From the discussions I've had w/Ross at ENZO, the '06-'07's don't benefit greatly from subtanks. I would tend to believe him as he is in the business to sell products/services.

Did he specify MX, SX, offroad, or all of the above? I tend to do pretty long ride days and find myself bleeding the air off quite a few times throughout to keep the front end working decently.

I haven't had a chance yet to abuse the new FC revalve on my YZ, so I can't say whether it's better or not. But in stock form and in my first revalve, I feel I could have benefitted from sub tanks.

Did he specify MX, SX, offroad, or all of the above? I tend to do pretty long ride days and find myself bleeding the air off quite a few times throughout to keep the front end working decently.

I haven't had a chance yet to abuse the new FC revalve on my YZ, so I can't say whether it's better or not. But in stock form and in my first revalve, I feel I could have benefitted from sub tanks.

I was speaking to him w/regard to MX more than off road. However, from a technical standpoint (he was def speaking above my head!) it sounded like the subtanks weren't as much of a necessity for the newer KYB's.

Let us know how the FC revalve works. Did you get the offroad/GNCC setup?

I had them set me up for 160lb 'A' enduro, which entailed softer pressure springs and minor changes to the stock valving. I told them some of the enduro courses were almost hare scrambles, so it might be like the GNCC setup.

On my '07 YZF the stock suspension is awesome- better than the stock '06 yz. I'm using it for scrambles and CC which are only a couple hours and it's only the last lap or so that I notice the front end stiffening up.

I don't really notice any changes in fork feel in a 5-10 lap moto or practice day at the track, so I could see his point there.