Sign in to follow this  

Just a pic-650 is a blast

The temp yesterday - made it up to 65

location- East central Fl

camera- Hp photosmart E317 (its my daughter in laws)my kodak z650 was at home.

Ride- yes it was nice. Just got it back on friday with a fresh topend.:censored:

The temp yesterday - made it up to 65

location- East central Fl

camera- Hp photosmart E317 (its my daughter in laws)my kodak z650 was at home.

Ride- yes it was nice. Just got it back on friday with a fresh topend.:applause:

Ummm, I take it you had a base gasket leak? Either that or you ride the wheels off of that DR to have already needed a top end. :applause:

It wasnt the gasket. My bike had ingested some sand.... Thought it had gotten in through the main filter. But it came in through the little one that sits on top of the airbox on that hose connected to the right side of the carb.

That has suction on it and dumps right into the top of the carb under the diaphram, then into the motor it goes through a port where the choke feeds and also in the clearence at the slide itself!!!

Man what a bitch!! I was lucky and took it back to the dealer and they got it fixed under warranty, Plus a new choke cable and new spark plugs to boot.

Croom is on the west coast , but ive been there and its a blast on a weekday when all the maniacs arent there.

It wasnt the gasket. My bike had ingested some sand.... Thought it had gotten in through the main filter. But it came in through the little one that sits on top of the airbox on that hose connected to the right side of the carb.

That has suction on it and dumps right into the top of the carb under the diaphram, then into the motor it goes through a port where the choke feeds and also in the clearence at the slide itself!!!

Man what a bitch!! I was lucky and took it back to the dealer and they got it fixed under warranty, Plus a new choke cable and new spark plugs to boot.

Yikes! Yeah, ingested sand will alter the performance for sure! :applause:

I bet that track is a hellva mess when it rains uhh ?

Gnarly tires you got there 2 :applause:

Sucking sand sucks,,, but got to hand it the the stealership to do it under warranty right ?

Is it really that easy for sand/dirt to get into the engine? I'm picking a 06 DR650 up next month and this scares me a little. Is there any way to stop this from happening? i previously had a XR600L and buried it to the bottom of the gas tank in a beaver pond. We pulled it out, kicked it about 20 times and it fired up and ran fine. Is the DR set up differently?

As far as the sand in question- it was really small,fine, and dustlike. Though I serviced the main air filter constantly I only cleaned that little one a few times. And its not much of a filter to start with.

So how did it get so much fine dust to start with- Well lets just say Im a little slower than the guys i ride in the trails with . So I usually play trail sweeper at the back of the line. And when you ride in the back you catch all the crap they stir up in front of you.

Since Ive found the problem, I got some filter material and cut some to fill that cartridge up and oiled it heavily with hi tack filter oil. And it will get (cleaned or replaced) more often now . I guess some of those little filters from K-n or uni would work too. Looks like the 1/2'' push in would be the one..

As far as the sand in question- it was really small,fine, and dustlike. Though I serviced the main air filter constantly I only cleaned that little one a few times. And its not much of a filter to start with.

So how did it get so much fine dust to start with- Well lets just say Im a little slower than the guys i ride in the trails with . So I usually play trail sweeper at the back of the line. And when you ride in the back you catch all the crap they stir up in front of you.

Since Ive found the problem, I got some filter material and cut some to fill that cartridge up and oiled it heavily with hi tack filter oil. And it will get (cleaned or replaced) more often now . I guess some of those little filters from K-n or uni would work too. Looks like the 1/2'' push in would be the one..

Check this out - http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/techinsight.html

Looks like it's something we should all be looking at. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Is that a true representation on the TopGun site? I have had my seat off plenty of times and never saw that filter or saw any reference to it in a manual. Is it possible to eliminate it and still have the bike run right? The prev owner may have done away with it. As soon as it warms up I'm gonna go looking for it. Thanks.

Check this out - http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/techinsight.html

Looks like it's something we should all be looking at. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Very interesting, Thanks for sharing. I wonder why Suzuki didn't just run this hose into the filtered side of the air box since it sounds like it's just a vent for the displaced air on back side of the diaphram? :lol: Oh, do you think the choke like vacuum created inside the stock air box might have something to do with it? :applause: They probably tried it and when they wacked the throttle open the suckiness of the air box out sucked the metered engine vacuum that is allowed to act on the diaphram and slammed the slide closed! LOL! :applause:

Very interesting, Thanks for sharing. I wonder why Suzuki didn't just run this hose into the filtered side of the air box since it sounds like it's just a vent for the displaced air on back side of the diaphram? :lol: Oh, do you think the choke like vacuum created inside the stock air box might have something to do with it? :applause: They probably tried it and when they wacked the throttle open the suckiness of the air box out sucked the metered engine vacuum that is allowed to act on the diaphram and slammed the slide closed! LOL! :applause:

I was wondering about it last weekend when I took the carb off. Never seen nothing like it before. Not that I know much about carbs. I'm gonna get one of these from Multisurface when they get it up for sale. At the very worst - it can't hurt.