Sign in to follow this  

Whats with all the valve problems?

Had to ask this question, I have an 05 250r that I bought new in May of 06 and raced it all fall and practiced on it at least once a week. Ive changed the oil and air filter every other time its been ridden. Im an intermediate vet rider and usually hitting the rev limiter very often. My bike starts first or second kick every time and I have never checked the valves. Some local mechanics have told me that most people spend way to much time checking valves when they should leave well enough alone. They say as soon as you start having trouble starting the bike they should probably be checked.Have I just been lucky or should they really be checked? Just looking for opinions, I read a lot about all the valve problems on here and it seems that most are contributed to poor maintanance. What do you guys think?

I have the same bike. Cool bike. But hey it doesn't hurt to check unless you're a hack and get a bunch of dirt in there while you're checking. I bought my 05 250R also in May of 06 and it had been ridden and I ride it twice a week. Valve clearances are as stock specified after all that. But isn't it wise to just take a half hour every couple months and see what's going on in there? From what I've heard, the clearances may not change at all and then all at once when the coating on the parts is gone, so is the clearance. Valves are over rated.

my 05 lasted between a 100-110 hours before the valves went south, i check them every 10-15 hrs of riding or when the starting gets hard

On my 06 The valves lasted one hundred hours before the first adjustment, and that was normal riding, hitting the limiter now and then... And now 10-15 hours later when I put in a new piston/rings/wrist pin, cam chain etc. They have not moved at all.

When the starting got hard for me it was taking around 3-4 kicks to start it when warm and sometimes when cold it took alot to start it like around 30 kicks... at that time my clearances were

Exh - .008 in

In- .0045 in

Then I set them to the top of the spec

Exh - .012 in

In- .006 in

I don't think there is a problem with the valves, I do regular maintenance, change oil every 3-4 hours and clean the airfilter when it gets dirty.

Thanks for the responses,I wish I would have put an hour meter on my bike when I first got it to keep track. What would you all guess for each race, around an hour? I think I will go ahead and check the valves just to be safe. I just hate to fool with them and then it be an ongoing thing. It seems that some people like me never check them until there is a problem and dont have any headaches and some people check them every 20 hours or so and are constantly shimming them. Ive debated tearing the motor down and putting in a high compression piston and cam for a little more power to run with the

450's until I let a buddy run it for one race when his bike broke and he smoked all the guys in 250B class. I guess I just need to learn to give it more gas!!

I have had the same great luck with my 05. never had to adjust the valves. I replaced the piston and valves about a year a go just for the heck of it. runs great!!!! i too wish i had put an hour meter on it when i got in Sep. of '04

Frankly, if MXing on these things is 100 on a scale from 1-100, wrenching on them is at least a 90. I love working on them - at least when they deserve it. It's fixing due to my own stupidity that bugs me! :applause:

Frankly, if MXing on these things is 100 on a scale from 1-100, wrenching on them is at least a 90. I love working on them - at least when they deserve it. It's fixing due to my own stupidity that bugs me! :applause:

ditto

Ditto to Mr. Shifter...... These good bikes. Just need to be watched and they deserve it....

The valves (right hand inlet) in my '06 went north before I even went through a rear tyre. I'm a trail rider only and have never hit the rev limiter. I change the oil every 3 or 4 rides and do the airfilter every ride. I guess I was just unlucky..........but I'm definately not alone!!

I have just installed a new RHC head and I hope to not have to worry about valves for another few years.

I love my little bike, an anticipated valve issues from the recent Honda history but it depresses me to have it happy so early on.

Typical, that is why Honda never did a recall. Most guys got aot of time before the valves got mad. Others have seen them trash in hours. I have experenced all senarios from 50-60 race hours, 13 race hours and over 100... All with NEW OEM Honda stuff.(complet heads). Now I have RHC stuf with loads of time