Sign in to follow this  

Question to owners of the DR650?

I just bought a new DR650...on Thursday....I have never been around this bikes before. So I am trying to firgure out what this noise is...otherwise..I am going back to the dealer. It seems to be coming from the left side from the seat or back...at first it kinda of sounded like a frog...it is not very consistant..then it kind of sounds like a small ping or tap...at times...??? An ideas....would this be clutch noise? Rear suspension breaking in?

Any and all ideas....welcome...thanks.....

I think in the end I will be going to the dealer.

Locopez

Yep, chain roller definately (frog like creaking sound), get a replacement from Jesse at kientech.com. And while you are at it, remove the upper roller altogether. This was a designing mistake from Suzuki.

everyone thanks for the response to this point. The chain roller...is that just under the seat just above the swing arm. It is blue in color....??

Before you think I am silly..and have no clue...let tell you my motorcycle experience....all street riding on Harley's, a Buell, and two honda scooter...so this is my 1st bike with a chain final drive...so I am learning.....

It's a roller type wheel bolted to the inside of the frame on the left hand side. There is one under your left buttock, and there is another one bolted to the backside of the lug that holds the sidestand.

Remove the upper one, replace the lower one, ride away smiling happily! :censored:

Here is another sound producer. On my new 650. the head pipe to the muffler pipe connection, the clamp was turned with the threaded end of the tightening bolt toward the shock spring. Every time the suspension was moving, it would produce a squeeking or light grinding noise. It was just lightly

touching the spring. Loosen and rotate away from the spring, and ride.

Guess what? I didn't turn the clamp, I took out the bolt and cut about a 1/4 inch off the end, and put it back in. Anyway, the end of the bolt scrubbed the paint off the spring in that area down to the bare metal.