preventing frame rust??

Hey guys, the previous owner of my bike scratched off quite a bit of the paint on the side of the frame and I have ordered some nice lightspeed carbon fiber frame guards to prevent further wear but was wondering what I could do to make sure I don't develop rust on the frame. I thought maybe I should just spray some clear coat over the areas were the paint has been wore off but thought I would ask to get some different opinions. Thanks :censored:

If you are talking about the areas on the frame where your boots rub no amount of paint is going to work. You are going to rub the paint off next time you ride anyways.

Touch up pens from the autoparts store will cover scratches elsewhere on the frame. Remove all the rust in the scratch before you apply the paint. Several paint manufactures claim to make paint that stops rust. Keep in mind paint is generally porous so if you do not remove the rust completely the underlying material will continue to rust after the application of paint.

I normally ignore surface rust on my frames. The service life of a dirt bike is not usually long enough for rust to be a concern.

Please keep in mind most of my experience with rust comes from areas where the roads are not salted to combat ice. The introduction of road salt to the problem will likely change things so wait for someone from the states up north to chime in if salt is used in your area.

Hey guys, the previous owner of my bike scratched off quite a bit of the paint on the side of the frame and I have ordered some nice lightspeed carbon fiber frame guards to prevent further wear but was wondering what I could do to make sure I don't develop rust on the frame. I thought maybe I should just spray some clear coat over the areas were the paint has been wore off but thought I would ask to get some different opinions. Thanks :censored:

any Zinc rich primer with a topcoat that matches your bike will work fine, since your going to put the frame protectors on there, otherwise you would just wear it back off. just make sure you rub the serface down with thiner before you spray. but yes, its a very good idea to prime and paint the frame before you bolt on the cover, as the frame protectors would trap moisture and accelerate the corrosion.:ride:

Ok thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I think I will try tom slick's idea and just remove the frame guards a few times a year and treat them with that stuff he mentioned.

"I normally ignore surface rust on my frames. The service life of a dirt bike is not usually long enough for rust to be a concern."

I have these delusions of riding my bike for a few more years or so and then tearing it completely down and restoring it. Who knows if it will ever happen though. Thanks again guys. :applause:

Ok thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I think I will try tom slick's idea and just remove the frame guards a few times a year and treat them with that stuff he mentioned.

"I normally ignore surface rust on my frames. The service life of a dirt bike is not usually long enough for rust to be a concern."

I have these delusions of riding my bike for a few more years or so and then tearing it completely down and restoring it. Who knows if it will ever happen though. Thanks again guys. :applause:

Funny you should say this. I have a 1990 Yamaha XT350 I bought new that I am just beginning to do a semi-restore to. May not ride it much anymore, just plan to save it as nice as is reasonable, perfect operating condition in the garage.

I found a little chip on the bottom side of my frame. I believe I will try to sand it down and paint a couple coats of primer on it and then graphite paint maybe to match the frame color. Finish it off with clear coat.

I will look into the boesheild T-9 too. I've been using the BullFrog Rustblocker this year. I need frame guards next because my paint is fast fading away there.