Sign in to follow this  

brake pad uneven wear problem!

Well, need help here....

I replaced my rear brake pads with EBCs about 4 rides ago. Been riding in alot of muddy and wet conditions.

Went riding yesterday, nailed the rear brakes....nothing!

So I pulled over and looked at them, only one pad has any "pad" to it. the outer brake pad is metal only.

could there be a problem with a piston? could the "pad" part have fallen off?

anything would help here...I had no idea I rely on the rear brake slide until they were taken away.

thanks

2000 XR400

Riding in mud is fun but it takes its toll on brake pads and chains. I'd say you did good if you got in four mud rides with one set of pads. Unless your chain is oring its probably shot too.

I have never changed my brake pads on my xr400 in the 7years thay I have owned it. I did check them yesterday and they are almost due, but you should be able to get many miles out of them. I also like the OEM Honda ones that is what I have. Possible that the caliper is not sliding right and is stuck and wearing one side, but you may have gotten a bum set of pads.:censored:

Riding in mud is fun but it takes its toll on brake pads and chains. I'd say you did good if you got in four mud rides with one set of pads. Unless your chain is oring its probably shot too.

What kind of pads are you used to ? I had a set of pads last me 5 years with too many mud runs to list in there.

If they have worn out there will still be some friction material left on backing plate, if the backing plate is all that is left I think the friction material has come unstuck and fell off (very unusual), might be able to get a refund where you bought it ? I rate ebc "hh" pads.

What kind of pads are you used to ? I had a set of pads last me 5 years with too many mud runs to list in there.

I live in Colorado now but I grew up in florida. Lots of sand. When it gets wet its like riding your bike over a belt sander. I don't know what part of texas diesel is in but there is a lot of sand there too.

If your brake pads are wearing out that quick your brake pedal may be sticking on the pivot. It needs to be removed , cleaned and greased on a regular basis otherwise it will cause the rear brake to drag and wear out your pads prematurely.

do u have any instructions or images of how to do this? would this explain why only one pad is gone, and the other is still new.

pads were ebc (red ones)

thanks all

pads were ebc (red ones)

That's your problem right there. EBC red pads aren't made for wet/muddy conditions, they're for dry only. Get 'em wet and they practically disintegrate.

For wet/muddy conditions you need a good sintered metal pad like EBC gold. I've had good luck with the Tusk sintered pads, which run a few bucks less than the EBC.

-Bob

well .....then i just learned something.

dennis kirk recomended them...but there definatly look like they just fell apart.

i will try those pads...hopefully it was just my bad, and not an issue with the caliper.

Possible that the caliper is not sliding right and is stuck and wearing one side...

This is the answer, unless you actually had the friction material drop right off the backing plate.

When you swap pads you need to pull the caliper apart from the bracket and clean and relube the slider pins before reassembly.

This is the answer, unless you actually had the friction material drop right off the backing plate.

When I wrote that the red EBC pads practically disintegrate when you get them wet/muddy, I wasn't exaggerating. One or two hard rides in the mud and they be down to the backing plate.

When you swap pads you need to pull the caliper apart from the bracket and clean and relube the slider pins before reassembly.

Good advice, and quite possibly the reason for the unevenness.

-B

i took them off last night....there was a thin line of pad on the outside pad...but both pads were blackened and looked bad. I am pretty sure it was the water that did it...conditions were extra bad lately....I didnt know the red ones did that. I have the copper colored ones up front, and just ordered the same for the rear.

I also noticed that the screwed up pad wore a few small grooves in my disc...so I ordered a new one of those too...:applause: