Sign in to follow this  

My short opinion with 07 450 SXF for trail riding

KEEP IN MIND THIS REVIEW IS ONLY FOR USING THE SXF FOR TRAIL RIDING RATHER THEN THE RECOMMENDED XC'S. Well I ended up getting both bikes the 07 XC 450 and the 07 SXF 450 and the priliminary results are in. XC has a ton of Torque compared to the SXF. SXF feels SOOOOOOO much lighter than the XC and I love that. Gearing could use a bit of tweeking compared to the XC, but I'm only two hours into the SXF and getting more and more used to the way it needs to ridin. I think I could get used to the stock gearing with a couple more rides, but tweeking is the easiest/quickest solution. I have not really stalled it like others thought might be a big problem with the SXF. The power delivery between the XC and SXF is very different. The XC is more like a tracktor and the SXF is more like a big bore 250 SXF if that makes sense. The XC does exactly what it was designed to do, but just does not put that hugh smile on my face like the SXF does. The SXF is a blast to ride and turns on a dime, while the XC seems like I have to go where the the bike is leaning and fight my way a bit to get it pointed in the right direction. Single track on the SXF is way more fun and controlable for me, the XC at times felt to big and lathargic for the tight stuff. In the end I decided to keep the SXF, because of the super lite feeling and handling of the bike. For me it seems easier to make the SXF the perfect bike rather then trying to make the XC the perfect bike. The SXF is really a whole lot more technologically advanced in every way. If you want to have a smile from ear to ear go with the SXF, it can and will be everyones choice if KTM does not use the same technology in next years XC's. Don't be afraid to go SXF for Trail riding as I am much faster with the SXF and in so much more control over my XC. All my buddies also mention that they can no longer keep up with me and I notice I am not even really pushing it YET:ride:

AWESOME!!!! that is exactly what I want to hear. I bought the 07 SXF mainly because the new frame and forks, and ofcourse the money. I have owned 3 KTM sx's (125sx, 250sx, and now a 250SXf) and they have been great in the trails, and they are AMAZING on the track. To me, they are the perfect harescramble bikes! Goodluck with your bike! pics are alwayss nice!

the E-start is also a plus

I can't believe I forgot to mention the fabulous Magic Button!!!!!:applause:

I just picked up a 2007 250 sx-f about a week and a half ago. This is my first KTM. I wanted a new bike from my 125 and rode my friends 450exc. I like the bike but it felt like a ton of bricks in the trails. so i took a shot and went for the sxf despite what some of my friends thought (mx bike on trails) however the last 2 times we have gone ridding up at thomaston dam ive been leading the pack. i dont have any problems with the gearing and the lightness accomanied by the power and the way it comes on, on this bike makes it very exiting to ride in the trails. I switched off with my buddy who was on the 450 and going from the sx-f to the exc felt like i driving a tank. the power didnt feel as snappy (which it isnt suppose to) and it wasnt as nimble. I can say after trying them both out i would much rather be on my sx-f than a bike desighned for trail ridding.

I love my 04 450SX is great in trails. I absolutely love it; I realize it's not the same as the 07 SXF, but I have no problem with gearing (actually have the close 1-4 and wide 5&6 tranny). I didn't realize how fast my bike was until I switched with my friend on his CR250 and I kept trying to upshift when I was in top gear lol!

I have a 08 450 SX-F that hasn't even seen a MS or SX track yet. I mostly ride trails/singletrack and only bought a SX-F because it was $2500 less than the XC. First is a little tall for the technical stuff, but very manageable if you work the clutch in the very tight spots. I find that I'm forced to carry more speed because of it, which so far has been a good thing. Fourth gear is only too short when I'm cruising long flat connecting trails (fire roads, old railroad beds, etc.) and even then it's not terrible, it's just that the engine is revved out. That's about the only time a taller gear would be useful.

I installed an ignition map switch which doesn't make a night and day difference, but the difference is noticeable. In the technical stuff it's easier to lug when it's on the soft setting, and when there's not much traction the soft setting helps somewhat.

Is the 07 450sx first gear more like second on a 5 speed? Can you start the bike in gear? Anybody try the other map?

rode my 08 SXF in the trails oon sunday, was nice, although it seemed a bit more tyring than my kxf for some reason, front end didnt seem to work as well which i'm sure is just a setup issue (ville, what you think?), but still had a blast and would recommend it to anyone looking for a bike for both the track and trails. Just make sure your battery is in good condition always!

I'll echo that statement about maintaining your battery. I've been riding my bike every weekend since new (July 09) and then missed two weeks when I went on vacation.

Is some gnarly grown in muddy stuff my brother and I kept stopping to clear the trail, and restarting. All these starts were draining the battery faster than it could be recharged when running, leaving me with a dead battery.

I pushed it in 2nd, hitting the starter at the same time I let the clutch out and that got me going again.

That night I charged the battery and did the same thing the next day - stopping and starting a lot to clear trails, and it didn't drain the battery down. I believe that during the two weeks of sitting the battery discharged and never fully recharged because I kept stopping and starting.

Now I'm extra careful - I charge the battery when the bike has been sitting 2 weeks. Stopping at the top of a hill is also helpful.

I fixed my battery problem easily.

Step 1. Remove seat.

Step 2. Remove stock 4 amp/h (YTZ-5S) or 3 amp/h (YTZ-4S) battery.

Step 3. Drop 6 amp/h (YTZ-7S or equivalent) battery into tray and hook it up.

Step 4. Put seat back on.

The bike starts WAY faster and starts in gear easy (even with the stock drag-o-matic clutch).:busted: With my Rekluse it makes it even better. Dead engine start holeshots are a cinch now. Five for five with this setup.

And I have not had to try to jump start my bike on the side of the trail, at 1:00am, in a horde of mosquitos ever since. What made me mad about that night is we ended up just swapping the battery out of my brothers 450X (YTZ-7S after jumping my KTM three times) since he could kick start his bike with my bad battery. As soon as we dropped the 5 series from my SX-F into his 450 that Honda started right up with the button.:thumbsup: On the positive side I've never had any issues since with my stock battery sitting on the shelf in my garage and the higher amp/h battery in my 505.

rode my 08 SXF in the trails oon sunday, was nice, although it seemed a bit more tyring than my kxf for some reason, front end didnt seem to work as well which i'm sure is just a setup issue (ville, what you think?), but still had a blast and would recommend it to anyone looking for a bike for both the track and trails. Just make sure your battery is in good condition always!

What year is your KXF? A friend I ride with has an 06 KX450F and we swapped last week for some comparison. He loved the front end of my 450 SX-F much better than his KXF - said it stuck to the ground better and he was taking turns much faster. He did complain and say while the top end of the SX-F was amazing, the low to midrange power just isn't the same.

The first thing I noticed when I got on his KXF is that there was more low and mid power. There was one tabletop right out of a hard right turn where you almost had to stop to make the turn and it was difficult to clear it on the SX-F, while the KXF had no problems at all. Could this be jetting? Or is the SX-F weaker than the KXF at low to midrange? I did install a honda AP diaphragm (shorter duration squirt) and raised the stock needle one clip position (lowered the clip) to richen it up, which improved response over the stock setup but it's still not as responsive and powerful as his KX-F.